whoohoo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
after 30 hours, lots of mistakes, read loads and buying

The Professional Guide to
Wheel Building
Written by Roger Musson

finally suceeded, I've built my first rear wheel with new spokes (sapim stron drive side, DT Alpine double butted non drive side), original hub, rim on my dawes super galaxy!!

field trials start tomorrow to test whether it is up for touring.
Thanks everyone on here who gave me help.

I'm long in the tooth and it takes a lot for me to b e pleasantly happy but this sure has done it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done. Something I am meaning to try myself.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well done!

The first few do take a while, gets quicker after a while, (then you get cocky and try to do without the book open in front of you - and make some real howlers!)

I know you will enjoy those first wheels, and I'm sure they will be up to whatever tours you want to throw at them - mine certainly were.

ASC1951

Guru
Well, I've got the time so I've just ordered a couple of hubs and Mavic CPX rims so that I can get another fixie on the road. Last time I tried it I could get the wheel strong and straight but not quite round....

ChrisKH

Guru
Well done. The good thing is you know more or less what to do if things go wrong with a spoke whilst out touring. Me, I wouldn't have a clue.

mr Mag00

rising member
nice 1 *tips hat in acknowledgement*

Matthames

Über Member
Well done on your first wheel. Don't forget to keep an eye on the spoke tension for the first 100 miles or so. One of the first mistakes I made was to not apply enough tension to the spokes, so they worked themselves loose.

PpPete

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
these still holding up, would you recommend it then? i have hubs and needs replacing the rims

Absolutely, 100%, unequivocally. But only with 32 or 36 spoke wheels on your first few. I woudn't go near the low spoke count wheels on that TT bike. Thoroughly recommend getting Roger Musson's book too. You'll more than get back the £9 it costs to download in the saving on tools for your first wheel.

OP
OP
S

stephenjubb

Über Member
wheels are holding up great, having no major problems, before the rebuild I had 3 broken spokes and spokes coming loose regularly.

I check them after every 50 miles and the only issue is the occasional loose spokes.

I tighten them, retrue and the spokes are fine.

So to summarise only getting one or two spokes coming loose marginally on non drive side.

Top Bottom