Who's got varifocals then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have worn glasses for all my adult life, and for a few years used contact lenses, until it got to the point where I could see distances with lenses, but not close up stuff.

So it was back to using glasses.

I asked the optician about having 2 pairs of glasses: one for distance and one for reading - but he said that most people find it a pain in the backside to be constantly looking for the other pair of glasses (which they have put down somewhere....)

So I went for varifocals, and adapted to them very well.

My wife, on the other hand, had some but gave them back to opticians after about a fortnight, because she constantly felt disoriented when wearing them, although the ptician was adamant that the prescription was completely correct. So she has gone down the 2 pairs of glasses route.

Incidentally, I paid a fortune for my first pair of varifocals at (if I recall correctly) Specsavers.

Earlier this year I got a pair from Asda at about £120 all in, and they are my current every day glasses. No problems with them at all.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Stick with them a while longer. In the early days you need to make a conscious effort to make them work but after a while they just seem to work by themselves. I don’t know if it’s the brain compensating or what but I don’t notice the blurry peripheral vision anymore unless I consciously decide to look through the wrong part of the lens. For most of the time I just forget I’m wearing glasses and everything is nicely focused, but I do still remember the early weeks and the sorts of problems you’re experiencing.

That sentence stuck with me and I stuck with the glasses. I don't even notice anymore. Wished I'd picked a different frame though.

wakou

Über Member
This thread has inspired me. I bought some about 6 months ago and HATED them, useless for computer, useless for reading, the "sweet spot" is so tiny. £200 down the toilet, I got some cheapo £10 glasses for driving at the same time (prescription) and they are fine and I have about 6 pairs of poundland bottle-bottoms scattered around the house/garage but still drive myself mental losing the right pair. I will give the varifocals another try.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I may have posted this earlier in the thread but can't be bothered to check but..... varifocals are the dog's goolies! They are so good and so perfect for my vision. You need to get an optician who knows how to take all the measurements and get the lens set up right; it's not easy to do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm going for my test on Tuesday :wacko: I've been shortsighted since i was 11 but reading has became such an issue that i have finally had to admit me bits are knackared and i am going the bi-focal route.....bugger !

I don't think I'm many years away from going varifocal too.

I remember what the 'young' optician said last time - 'now you are nearly 40 you won't be able to leave eye tests as long' - nearly decked her - I was 38. The Cow !

I find close up work needs me to take my glasses off.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
^^^^^ I too have to take my glasses off for close work.
I can read no problem but need glasses to see anything further than 6' away clearly. I tried varifocals and used them for 2 weeks but couldn't get used to them. Driving was OK till I had to look at the speedo and it took me about 30 secs to find the sweet spot for middle distance so went back to my normal glasses. I kept trying but found in school trying to read a pupils work it was still easier to remove glasses so gave up.
If and when I need reading specs I might try again but not until.

byegad

Legendary Member
Some people just take to them straight away. I did, but then I'd worn bifocals for a few years before i got the varifocals.

Others simply can't make them work. A friend got some shortly after I'd been enthusing about mine. He persisted for a couple of weeks then went back to bifocals.

I'd give them at leat three weeks and the idea is you wear them all of that time.

Top Bottom