Why are cargo bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Is it their limited appeal in the market? Build costs? Need for extra-tough frames and components etc.?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one, but I remember years ago seeing a CC thread about the Dutch cargo bikes used to take kids to school etc. and the cost ran into multiple thousands of pounds. I think it was these ones - https://www.bakfiets.com/

Have prices come down at all over the years or are cargo bikes always going to be that bit more expensive than traditional bikes do think?

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Low volume hand-built?

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say they're always going to be more expensive than traditional bikes.
Due in part to having to overbuild for the load carrying aspect. They are also fewer built when compared to a normal bike.
One additional, personal opinion, thing to consider is the fact there's fewer over here, than on mainland Europe. Would a wider acceptance, amongst cyclists, of these odd bikes make them cheaper?

It's a bit like the recumbent market. There aren't as many recumbents on the roads, but how many recumbent cycles have you seen. The Velove Armadillo is being trialled by DHL over here, maybe it would bring the price down if they started using them. Add in the fact that its an e-assist recumbent cargo cycle and it's a real odd cycle.

I've the parts, mobility scooter parts, to convert the Brox to e-assist. Going with pure pulling power rather than speed.

I didn't have in mind mobility scooter bits but something like this with an ebike kit fitted. I guess it would have to be a front hub motor.

s-l1600.jpg

Low demand as it more a lifestyle and to some a statement thing. Imagine the numbers that are prepared to pay for high end expensive carbon and steel custom bikes. Also those who need to lug shopping and essentials on a regular basis have the ready option of more practical cargo trailers and panniers.

Even if you owned a cargo bike, what are you going load and carry often? Surely you don't need a cargo bike for grocery shopping.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
In Europe they are common sites at school gates with parents dropping the kids off. Here they use cars to drive the few miles. Social attitudes around using any form of cycling is very different here, the car is still king sadly. Retail parks and supermarkets don't provide decent space to park cycles in numbers. People pay thousands for a vehicle that costs money standing still and ruins health and environment simultaneously so why not pay a few thousand to do the opposite?

In Europe they are common sites at school gates with parents dropping the kids off. Here they use cars to drive the few miles. Social attitudes around using any form of cycling is very different here, the car is still king sadly. Retail parks and supermarkets don't provide decent space to park cycles in numbers. People pay thousands for a vehicle that costs money standing still and ruins health and environment simultaneously so why not pay a few thousand to do the opposite?
liked - but not everywhere in europe I'd say is better oldhippy.

(I do all the grocery shopping by bike by the way - have done for donkeys years - panniers plus now and again a backpack or rack-strapped drybags)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
liked - but not everywhere in europe I'd say is better oldhippy.

(I do all the grocery shopping by bike by the way - have done for donkeys years - panniers plus now and again a backpack or rack-strapped drybags)
True enough, but a great deal more than in the UK. The great thing about shopping with panniers is I use them as a basket around the store dump it on the belt and know it will all fit at the other end. Try to shop local though where I can.

Even if you owned a cargo bike, what are you going load and carry often?

Common in NL to do the school run with toddlers (until they're big enough to ride their own bikes).
The cost of not running a car, or second car, quickly covers the cost.

Cargo bikes are rarely seen outside of supermarkets but are widely used. Family activities in the summer, taking doggies out of the city for a good walk, deliveries and I've even met folks touring on them. In fact, pretty much anything that a car would be used for in shortish distances.

It would be common for a family to purchase one when the first child comes along (if not before) and sell it on when the youngest gets their own bike. Those bikes typically pass through many hands. The new "list" price is not the average price paid.

A reason that they're not more popular in NL is the lack of storage space.

True enough, but a great deal more than in the UK.
At the risk of a jibe from the snidey one I was thinking of Italy oldhippy. I could offer a few choice quotes from a few folk there about the very idea of using a bike for anything practical. With some exceptions (eg Ferrara) I'd say it's significantly worse than the UK.

The great thing about shopping with panniers is I use them as a basket around the store dump it on the belt and know it will all fit at the other end. Try to shop local though where I can.
More organised than me - part of the reason i take the packable backpack or two 15 litre drybags is in case I get my volume estimate wrong :smile:

A reason that they're not more popular in NL is the lack of storage space.
Excellent and relevant point - you are going to a need a garage or large undercover secure bike storage thingie I think. Pretty rare in london particularly where they are building sod all houses anymore, except for the significantly well-heeled. Cargo bike not something you can easily keep inside.

Top Bottom