Why are forks curved?

• Thread starter another_dave_b
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Probably just historical

stevenb

The Flight is a very nice bike.
Excellent commuter machine.
I think curved forks perhaps give a natural bit of flexibility in the ride......but the carbon straight blade forks will match that. ;)

Lots of different reasons. Suspension, stability, steering, toe clearance, longer wheel base for carrying loads, all depending on what sort of bike you're using and when it was built.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
stability, steering, toe clearance, longer wheel base for carrying loads
None of that is a function of whether the forks are curved or not. 'Straight' forks are all 'bent' where the fork blades meets the crown. Therefore the position of the front axle can be in the same place as on a curved fork and all the handling characteristics will be identical.

Curved forks and even curved chain stays have often been promoted as being 'more comfortable', but I've never seen a definitive test which could attribute any real benefit to this. Once again, I think its aesthetics. After all, straight forks look shite.

U

User482

I would have thought that a curved steel fork would be able to act as a slight spring, giving a more comfortable ride.

andygates

Indeedy.

And the reason modern forks can have trail while being straight, with that kink at the crown, is just modern materials and manufacturing.

Top Bottom