Why are mech hangers not standard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Universal Derailleur Hanger?

It's an open source standard, so it's up to frame manufacturers to apply for a free licence from SRAM, then they can use it on their frames. Being as Shimano don't manufacturer frames it has nothing to do with them. The hanger also has the standard bolt thread used for all Derailleurs, so the customer can use any make of derailleur they desire on the bike.

Personally I think it's a great idea and it would be wonderful if frame manufacturers across the board adopted it, sadly I don't think they will. It's also not backwards compatible, so you still have the issues of thousands of bikes in use today with a myriad of different hangers.

It would have everything to do with Shimano if they started making the hangers. With one or two minor exceptions, for the last 5 decades everyone else has followed where Shimano led them, so it would be a big deal indeed if they went down that route.

Which they won't. If they ever got into hangers they'd develop their own to give SRAM the commercial middle finger. The SRAM one could cure cancer and people would still buy a Shimano alternative if they could.

We already know Shimano do not make frames, and that SRAM developed this particular hanger standard.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
…because it would be an effort and designers are lazy.

the voice of one who worked in the automotive industry for 30+ years.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Have you tried betd (8 search results for Kona, although none for the Sutra specifically), or Wheels Manufacturing (more than 16 hits for Kona, two for Sutra)..?

Looks like these two, and potentially others have taken it upon themselves to step up when manufacturers cease production. Seems they have literally hundreds of different ones on their books..

Thanks a lot wafter for the links. Sadly, whilst there are a couple that are close, they still don't match completely. Intrestly the wheels manufacturing link doesn't show any options for the 2016/2017 model year of the Sutra, as seems to be typical. In 2018, they moved across to Thru Axles, so a 2018 and later hanger would never work on my frame.

It would have everything to do with Shimano if they started making the hangers. With one or two minor exceptions, for the last 5 decades everyone else has followed where Shimano led them, so it would be a big deal indeed if they went down that route.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shimano did make their own version of the UDH, especially if SRAMS proves to be successful, though there really wouldn't be any need for them to do so. I do wonder why you think it isn't a big deal that SRAM have gone down that route, given how large a market share they also have.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you though on Shimano leading were others have followed. SRAM have proven to be massive innovators in the last years, especially in the field of off-road and Gravel groupsets. Shimano has been very late to the party with regard to 1x drivetrains and if you wanted a decent gravel groupset, then SRAM were the only game in town for many years until GRX came along. Both my bikes are running SRAM drivetrains and I rate them far more than Shimano offerings.

Along with the UDH for more conventional derailleur set ups, SRAM have also developed Eagle Direct mount derailleurs that do away with derailleur hangers all together.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks a lot wafter for the links. Sadly, whilst there are a couple that are close, they still don't match completely. Intrestly the wheels manufacturing link doesn't show any options for the 2016/2017 model year of the Sutra, as seems to be typical. In 2018, they moved across to Thru Axles, so a 2018 and later hanger would never work on my frame.
No worries - that's a pain.

You could always approach them both to see if they'll do one; I assume you don't have the intact original for dimensions..?

Probably worth setting up a search with email alerts on ebay if you've not already, although it sounds like they're hen's teeth :sad:

JuhaL

Guru
When we talk about cycling I would say standard is almost unknown concept. Lot of parts and lot of tools.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You could always approach them both to see if they'll do one; I assume you don't have the intact original for dimensions..?
I'm actually in the identical situation to you, I don't thankfully need one, mines fine. I would just feel better knowing I either had a couple of spares in the toolbox or that I knew were I could get one if needs be.

I might well contact one of those links you posted, I'm going to follow a German lead first and if that goes nowhere then I will.

Top Bottom