Why are my bearings trying to escape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a bit of trouble with my hub after removing the freehweel and sticking on a single sprocket - the little cover that goes on over the bearings was lifting off, seemingly being pushed up by the bearings underneath. I took everything apart, and there seemed to be too many bearings in there - there just didn't seem to be enough room for them all to sit comfortably in the cup. So I took one out, reassembled, and that seemed to be that.

I've since ridden, what, 70 or 80 miles on it, and haven't had any problems. But when I was about to set off this morning, I noticed that the little cover was once again starting to lift up. Am I missing something? Have I done something really dumb? Any suggestions much appreciated 'cos it's got me good 'n baffled.

gbb

Legendary Member
I assume its a cup and cone hub...
Are the cones locked tight...my sons wheel self destructed the other month. The cups in the hubs had disintegrated allowing the bearings to go where they liked.
Broken axle ?

Sounds like a stripdown to investigate.

gwhite

Über Member
The little cover merely gives protection from dirt but on some models are really difficult to refit as they become distorted. If the cones were slack then you'd notice the play and since you haven't replaced the ball-bearings they must be the correct size. As you have taken one BB out then the bearings can't be climbing up over each other. The cover should be very tight going back in so I'd chek this.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks, yes, a little digging around discovered this last wekend, and all is well now. But thanks for getting back.

Top Bottom