Why are some numbers more important than others?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went out this morning for a ride round, really to just explore some areas I'm not that familiar with.

Coming back, I noticed it'd end up finishing with about 47miles clocked.
I'd missed half a mile or so at the beginning and a mile in the middle through forgetfulness on the bike computer,, but I still felt the need to go the long way home to tip it to recording over 50.

What earthly difference does it make? It's not just me daft enough to do this is it?
If I'd never done 50 before, then I can see a point, but as I have, I just find it amusing.

I think we all have a certain amount of this. Not cycling related, but when I fill up the car, it has to be in whole pounds. Mrs T can't have the TV volume on an odd number.

Probably one of the reasons I don't have a computer on my bike. Without it I ride at the speed I am going at and I cover the distance I have done.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
I offered to fit a computer on my daughters bike when she was about 10 years old. She was totally dismissive, saying she doesn't need one as she always knows EXACTLY how fast she's going. Impressed I asked how she did it and she said that she was always going the exact speed that she wants to, and walked off looking at me as if i was stupid for not knowing..

sdr gb

Falling apart
What earthly difference does it make? It's not just me daft enough to do this is it?
If I'd never done 50 before, then I can see a point, but as I have, I just find it amusing.

Don't worry, I do it as well. Many a time I've realised the computer is just under 50 or 60 miles as I near home so I'll do laps of the local area to make up the miles. Perhaps its a form of OCD. (Obsessive Cycling Disorder)

the snail

Guru
I offered to fit a computer on my daughters bike when she was about 10 years old. She was totally dismissive, saying she doesn't need one as she always knows EXACTLY how fast she's going. Impressed I asked how she did it and she said that she was always going the exact speed that she wants to, and walked off looking at me as if i was stupid for not knowing..

:biggrin: out of the mouths of babes..

If you worked in metric system, your 47 miles would be a more satisfying 75km

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T went on her second bike ride the week-end before last and enjoyed it so much we may have a convert... she even rode up and down the street twice to make it a 'nice round number'!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

:rofl:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I normally do about 10-15 miles a day. With the club, I do about 30-40 on a Teusday evening. And on weekends I normally go for a long run of 50-60 miles.

It is all over the place but maybe consitancy is a bad thing. With me, I am betting my body ready for all sorts of distances at all sorts of paces. It is whatever you feel necessary to do.

I am hoping to monitor my yearly millage, something I havent done before.

Oldbloke

Guru
Don't worry, I do it as well. Many a time I've realised the computer is just under 50 or 60 miles as I near home so I'll do laps of the local area to make up the miles. Perhaps its a form of OCD. (Obsessive Cycling Disorder)

+1

Not just me then! Except I live & work in Kms so easier to round up than miles :laugh:

Nebulous

Guru
I can go the other way. I lost a lot of weight last year / early this year, and deliberately stopped with a loss which was one pound short of five stone. I felt I'd done enough and didn't have anything else to prove.

It doesn't stop me saying five stone when someone asks me how much weight I've lost though!

Its not just you. I have a '20 mile' route I ride that actually comes in at 19.6 miles, so I always ride past the logical entrance to my street and go up and round to the other side to top it off!

Top Bottom