Why Are Turbo Trainers So Expensive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Why do turbo trainers cost so much for just what seems like a few tubes of metal . Many bikes are cheaper than turbos

amaferanga

Veteran
Why do turbo trainers cost so much for just what seems like a few tubes of metal . Many bikes are cheaper than turbos

And many bikes are more expensive than even the most expensive turbos. There's more to them than you think. The most expensive ones usually provide power information and some have VR capabilities.

EssexRider

If there was a bigger market for them the prices would go down loaaaaaads

just look at prices of bike sat navs to car sat navs...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If there was a bigger market for them the prices would go down loaaaaaads

just look at prices of bike sat navs to car sat navs...

I agree with that tbh. Turbos are seen as dedicated cycle training, and I suspect not that many use bikes for training or suppliment their exercise at home.

I think you can so things to increase the resistance on the wheel. I experimented with making little "parachutes" out of tape and card and secured to the spokes, made a hell of a noise though:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFsGSHIshc

Norm

Many bikes are cheaper than turbos
Would you ride a bike which cost under £100, though?

At the very least, a turbo needs to be solid, quiet and strong enough to carry a rider pushing down hard whilst rocking from side to side, before factoring in giving the feel of a road ride when accellerating or slowing and not wearing the tyres too much. And that's as well as the demand side stuff mentioned above.

goon

expensive? bought mine a taxc for £38 a few years back,basic model yes but does the job and the fan cools you down the faster you pedal.

e-rider

crappy member
I think the answer to this, like many other things is maketing and huge mark-ups.

For example:

Why can online sellers knock-out Shimano Deore XT chainsets month after month for £105 and still make a profit (RRP £199)
Wiggle are selling a Focus TT bike for £999 (RRP £1600)
Check out FSA carbon chainsets on CRC a while back for £60 (RRP £400)
TT/Tri aero bars - 2 short tubes of metal Alu and a couple of clamps £100 minimum - WTF!

Actually £100 for a turbo seems quite reasonable - not sure about the £400 ones though.

Got my Elite 2 years ago for £55

goon

yes they do wear tyres quickly,you can buy the specific trainer ones but they are expensive £50ish,just buy cheapies,remember no glass,thorns,nails etc and change it more often.

Top Bottom