Why aren't there more commuting cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sorry Trumpettom, but that looked ok to me, maybe the camera doesn't do it justice. I'd have been more worried about ther car doors.

Brains

Legendary Member
Mmmm, I'm an Explorer Scout Leader, this "if I push him, will he break?" problem is a regular for us

As you are the elder brother you will be paving the way for your younger brother, so it's the first mile that counts.

It depends on how old you are to a certain extent but assuming you are 17-18 parents need to be shown that you are no longer 10 years old.

I'd suggest your first move would be to join up with a local cycle group for the summer, check out the CTC website, you can then go on a few of their group rides, a couple of 'family' 20 milers out to a pub will in the sticks which you tell your parents about (emphasizing the 10 year olds that came along) will give them a good idea that you can be responsible on the roads.

You need to prove you can do this with older 'responsible' people before they will let you do it on your own.

I've taken people as young as 14 half way across Europe on bikes (as well as into the Alps, and on hundreds of camps where they have to survive on their own)

So rather than starting arguments with the parents, join up with a cycling club and prove you can do it

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

I probably should have made a highlight to the wing mirror more - it was dead close in peripheral vision...

What also peeved me a bit was the fact that there was a car coming the other way just as the bus passed - hence effectively 3 roadusers at one point in the road...

But i do agree that the camera makes it look slightly less scary than it actually was..

One last point - and then I'll stop obsessing over it - if you pause it where the bus is level with cyclist in front, and then imagine that i'm about a foot and a half to the right of that - it highlights the distance the bus was...

right - i'll stop obsessing now.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
upsidedown said:
Sorry Trumpettom, but that looked ok to me, maybe the camera doesn't do it justice. I'd have been more worried about ther car doors.

Yes, the car doors are certainly a concern but I disagree about the overtake. The bus was, imho, too close to the camera wearer. The driver could easily have waited for the oncoming vehicle to pass and then given the pair of cyclists adequate room as recommended by Highway Code Rule 163. He didn't do so, barely crossing the central line to make allowances, so I'd complain to the bus company involved. It is just this sort of incident that is, indeed, one of the reasons why more people don't commute by bicycle.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Brains makes some good points. A good cycle club will also have many experienced cyclists who can offer you on the spot advice (like riding further out in certain places, gear usage, etc, a lot you can learn from them) as you actually cycle.

On the bus overtake I agree with you. I take it you're using a MUVI clone, these typically have an angle of view of between 70-80 degrees so I can guess that it would be close enough to touch as he went past.

Zippy

I couldn't work out why you overtook your younger (less experienced) brother? Not trying to catch up with the bus were you? Leaving a novice to cycle alone?

More dangerous than the bus overtake!

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

I was indeed going to go have a word with mr bus driver - although having said that the more sensible thing to do would be to leave the bus alone for now - and check that lil' bro wasn't going to do anything rash... (experiencing the red mist sort of incedent following a fairly benign one...)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Trumpettom001 said:
I was indeed going to go have a word with mr bus driver - although having said that the more sensible thing to do would be to leave the bus alone for now - and check that lil' bro wasn't going to do anything rash... (experiencing the red mist sort of incedent following a fairly benign one...)

Just take a couple of deep breaths, shake your head in discontent. If its really bad you can shout out a vocal warning, brake and swing in towards the curb. We all know how it feels tbh.

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Maybe I should start doing that - every other helmet camm'er i've subscribed to on 'tube seems to do so....

(they also have a more manly way of expressing displeasure - other than in a high voice saying "B!"£%^tarD!!!".... it's not like that in real life - it's the camera I promise you!!)

Top Bottom