Why can't bike tyres be like car tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I know that bike tyres operate at higher pressures, but why is it that car tyres can stay at the right pressure for months, but my bike ones can only manage a week or so?

The pressure in my mtb tyres isn't very much higher than in the car ones, but they need pumping up once a week!

On the tourer (presta valves) with tyres at much higher pressures its about two weeks.

Pottsy

At a guess I'd say the much much greater volume of air in a car tyre means a little leakage makes comparatively very little difference to the overall pressure.

Secondly, personally my bike tyres are at a much greater pressure than my car tyres (say 100psi versus 30psi), which should encourage more leakage too I suspect.

GrasB

Veteran
Car tyres lose about the same volume of air a day as bike tyres. Thing is it takes about 20 strokes of the pump to get from 0 to 110 psi on my road bike, that's about 0.75psi worth of air in the Alfa's tyres.

dubman

Guru
Ive not had to do mine on new bike with presta valves for couple months now , have checked the pressure and they havn't lost any , my other bike on schrader valves needs doing every 2 weeks or so.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
they're thicker, and by a lot.
you could have bicycle tyres with 6 or 10mm wall thickness, but they'd sap some energy

OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Thanks for those - I suppose most of the reasons are logical.

I was very p'd off with my bike tyres when I posted that. I'd checked the car ones and no need to do anything after about 4 weeks of neglect, but had to pump up the bike ones yet again after a week and two weeks (shraeder mtb and presta tourer).

mr-marty-martin

inner tubes dont loose much air at all ive found, well i never feel they go down even after time

but tubular tyres do, with their latex inner tubes

Will1985

Über Member
Has anybody tried tubeless bike wheels yet? It would be interesting to see a direct comparison. The thickness of the rubber must have a lot to do with it.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't see that tube/tubeless has anything to do with it. I would go with the volume of air thing. Tractor tyres have tubes and usually stay at the same pressure for 20+ years but they hold a lot of air.

Top Bottom