Why can't the Americans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
image001.jpg

Sorry cannot get the image any larger; legend on the map reads 'South Africa'.

Slowgrind

Why can't you?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh that's funny.

If it was a map of Africa, labelled South America, that could be an understandable typo - I sometimes type the wrong word when I know what I mean to type.

But typing the right word, and having the wrong map, looks more like being dim.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How about this: my brother who lives in Michigan is over with his American wife and her brother for a short holiday. He drove them from Heathrow up to the Dales and as soon as they turned off the motorway onto the A59 they started shitting themselves every time they passed a car going in the opposite direction. The narrow Dales roads freaked them out and now he's in The Lakes things are even worse; they drove over Hardknott and Wrynose and absolutely pooed themselves. It didn't help when squeezing past a car on a narrow bit my brother's front NS wheel hit a rock and deflated the tyre. When they got to the hotel in Eskdale both of them went straight to bed and wouldn't get up. They told him they want to go straight home via the motorway and don't want to spend another minute on narrow roads. This is really stressing my brother because he wants them to enjoy themselves, he rang me last night really hacked off and not knowing what to do. I must add that the American medical profession has got its teeth into both of them because both are seeing therapists regularly and the brother takes medication, this is his first ever trip outside the USA! He's 59 and his condition for coming was that he must share a bedroom with my brother and his wife! Last two times my brother brought his wife over to the UK she was so stressed out that on returning home she left him for a month and went back to stay with her mother, also on therapy, in California.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
How about this: my brother who lives in Michigan is over with his American wife and her brother for a short holiday. He drove them from Heathrow up to the Dales and as soon as they turned off the motorway onto the A59 they started shitting themselves every time they passed a car going in the opposite direction. The narrow Dales roads freaked them out and now he's in The Lakes things are even worse; they drove over Hardknott and Wrynose and absolutely pooed themselves. It didn't help when squeezing past a car on a narrow bit my brother's front NS wheel hit a rock and deflated the tyre. When they got to the hotel in Eskdale both of them went straight to bed and wouldn't get up. They told him they want to go straight home via the motorway and don't want to spend another minute on narrow roads. This is really stressing my brother because he wants them to enjoy themselves, he rang me last night really hacked off and not knowing what to do. I must add that the American medical profession has got its teeth into both of them because both are seeing therapists regularly and the brother takes medication, this is his first ever trip outside the USA! He's 59 and his condition for coming was that he must share a bedroom with my brother and his wife! Last two times my brother brought his wife over to the UK she was so stressed out that on returning home she left him for a month and went back to stay with her mother, also on therapy, in California.

That's pathetic. I was giving a couple of American friends a lift somewhere, and they also got a bit nervous at the narrow roads, but they got over it quite quickly after a couple of pints of Guinness.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The 'average' Americans that you are all lining up to have a laugh at are little different from our own soft belly of a chavvy underclass here in the UK

But if having a laugh at them makes you all feel better then go for it...

montage

God Almighty
I was talking to a guy who works in a car hire firm. An american came over to Britain and hired out a standard car, and when he returned it, the engine was completely wrecked. Being used to automatic cars, the american had driven the thing in first gear for two hours, up the motorway, and then back the same way the next day. He apparently claimed that "UK car ain't half noisy"

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The 'average' Americans that you are all lining up to have a laugh at are little different from our own soft belly of a chavvy underclass here in the UK

But if having a laugh at them makes you all feel better then go for it...

A friend of mine and his wife were living and working in the states for a few years. He was flying airships for a company that were used for filming events and advertising. The crew were quite intelligent aerospace technicians some of whom had come from other aerospace companies.
They travelled around the US for several years.
He flew a guy from NASA and got entrance into a shuttle launch having been fast tracked through the security checks (this was in the 1990's).
When they had a get together with others from the company they sometimes had games of "Trivial Pursuit". They had to organise the questions and search through the cards so that the Americans only got questions on America. The Brits on the crew could answer questions on anything but the Yanks only knew about their own country. They even got most of them wrong if they weren't about their state. They even got these wrong.
Americans I have met do seem to have a limited view of the world. Even over here in Europe. I'm sure there are lots of intelligent Americans as there are stupid Brits but they do stand out more. Probably due to arrogance and being loud.

Slowgrind

Don't feel threatened by them though as they don't move very fast due to a diet of burger and fries, so I've heard from a bloke who saw one once, nearly. He new it was one though because they were grinding the gears of their car whilst talking very loud and not taking his advice. The ignoramus! I think.

Top Bottom