Why did men stop using canes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not in Scotland where it was the tawse or belt. My wife had one when she was a teacher in Clydebank.

A small hamlet in Scotland made the best correction devices, canes and whips. I think there was a joanna lumley travelogue where she went ton the house involved where there's a selection of their stock.

Something about making bridles for horses, whips for riding and canes / leather devices for all the best public schools of England, Scotland and further afield. It is likely their products that got used on Royal princes' stand ins when the prince's misbehaved!

BTW, one device for school correction was a leather riding crop type of b thing with more than 9 leather thongs coming out of the end, each with a very tight knot on the end. Apparently used in schools! Imagine a teacher trying to use one now, he or she would get a long time to regret it I reckon. I back in the day.

Anyway, wrong type of cane for this thread, but interesting to know that Scotland was a very big exporter of canes!

The stickman is a good place for sticks. Based in Yorkshire. He also supplies the parts to make your own. Worth checking him out, before he retires, I think he's getting on now.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The collector of walking sticks is called a Rabologist.

Personally, I am an Arctophile.

I have yet to find out the correct term for the collector of smoking pipes.

20240526_092726.jpg

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A small hamlet in Scotland made the best correction devices, canes and whips. I think there was a joanna lumley travelogue where she went ton the house involved where there's a selection of their stock.

Something about making bridles for horses, whips for riding and canes / leather devices for all the best public schools of England, Scotland and further afield. It is likely their products that got used on Royal princes' stand ins when the prince's misbehaved!

BTW, one device for school correction was a leather riding crop type of b thing with more than 9 leather thongs coming out of the end, each with a very tight knot on the end. Apparently used in schools! Imagine a teacher trying to use one now, he or she would get a long time to regret it I reckon. I back in the day.

Anyway, wrong type of cane for this thread, but interesting to know that Scotland was a very big exporter of canes!

Lochgelly in Fife was where the tawse were made.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A Brian Blessed.

Unfortunately not. He has never smoked outside of acting parts.

DRM

Guru
When I was a kid my Father had a pair of 'swordsticks', probably purchased in Singapore when he was in the RAF* they stood either side of the fireplace AFAIK Mum still has them but they're not something I'd want when she 'pops her clogs'

* Dad was stationed on the island of Gan in the early 60's
Perhaps Accy will take them off your hand's, they'll be just the ticket when shopping at Accrington's Holland & Barrett store by all accounts

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Perhaps Accy will take them off your hand's, they'll be just the ticket when shopping at Accrington's Holland & Barrett store by all accounts

I did think about that, but his mother is still with us let's not go there eh.:unsure: Besides, if I did obtain them I WOULD probably use them and end up decapitating a shoplifter aggressively resisting a citizens arrest!!🧐

lazybloke

Considering a new username
When I was a kid my Father had a pair of 'swordsticks', probably purchased in Singapore when he was in the RAF* they stood either side of the fireplace AFAIK Mum still has them but they're not something I'd want when she 'pops her clogs'

* Dad was stationed on the island of Gan in the early 60's

Spoke to my father in law. He was there 1957 to 1959 (61 Signals unit).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They're classed as a concealed weapon nowadays, could see the owner doing time

Only if the one with the swordstick actually pulls the sword out the stick and uses it to assault someone I believe. 🤔 And that's in a offensive, not a defensive manner I also believe. 🧐 My thought are chavvy yobbo in Accrington town centre takes a liking to my 1923 gold pocket watch and chain and decides to make a move for it. I immediately whip out the sword from the stick and take off his hand with one swoop. That's defensive, not offensive allowing me to go on my lawful way, wouldn't you say. 🧐

Last edited:
Top Bottom