Why did my tyre fail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Why did this fail? It was fitted last August, had only seen a few hundred miles due to my injuries. It was a basic Raleigh branded tyre but I've used them on several roadster restorations without issue. I had also worn an identical tyre through to the canvas on this bike without a single puncture so was happy to replace with another. They're not the greatest tyre in the world if you want performance but I'd have said they were strong and pretty bulletproof.

I thought something was rubbing on wheel so stopped to investigate. I thought the tyre was coming off the rim although I had no idea why it would do so. I turned the bike upside down and took the wheel off and took the tyre off and realised it was starting to part from the wire beading.

I attempted to re-enforce it with a piece of plastic but the problem just spread to another part of the tyre when I started to ride again.

IMG_20220623_154321.jpg

That is not a strong tyre, it is a cheap and heavy tyre.

It may have been a construction flaw (and poor quality control) or it could have been caused by damage to the bead when fitting the tyre (particularly if it was tight to fit).

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Was the brake block rubbing the tyre sidewall. Did you have any sidewall damage from curbs?

No it wasn't (first thing I look for when I saw what had happened) and I don't think it's sidewall damage. I don't do a lot of urban riding and don't generally ride off kerbs.

It's possible I suppose I did damage during fitting it as they are tight to fit in that size.

They are a cheap tyre but I would have said a perfectly functional one for utility riding. I've never had a problem with one before.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You say you "fitted it last August". What year did you buy it? Is its pair in a dodgy condition too. Recommend you assume it is, unless close (off rim) inspection shows it's still OK.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
You say you "fitted it last August". What year did you buy it? Is its pair in a dodgy condition too. Recommend you assume it is, unless close (off rim) inspection shows it's still OK.

I bought about 6 months before fitting andI don't have a pair. The front tyre is a Brompton branded one.

Top Bottom