Why did road bike wheels shrink?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've been struggling to get the tyres I wanted for my ancient tourer because it has 27" wheels, and I guess most tourers and road bikes have 700s (whatever size they are).

So I know MTB wheels got bigger for speed and comfort, so why did road bike wheels get smaller?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... ACHQ

D

Deleted member 20519

700c wheels are actually 27.5 inches :whistle:

Edit: I'm silly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as stated else where i prefer 27" wheeled equipped bike as they seem to offer me a more relaxed ride compared to newer 700 wheeled machines

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
What tyre are you after? SJS have 10 from £6 to £35 each… I have an old claud butler with 27" wheels that needs new tyres and I can't decide what to get.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been struggling to get the tyres I wanted for my ancient tourer because it has 27" wheels, and I guess most tourers and road bikes have 700s (whatever size they are).

So I know MTB wheels got bigger for speed and comfort, so why did road bike wheels get smaller?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... ACHQ

The bontrager race lite hard cases are available in 27" size.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html

andrew_s

Legendary Member
700c wheels were always more popular on bikes used for racing because they are the same size as the sprint rims used for tubulars. If you used 27" rims, you had to adjust your brakes each time you put your best racing wheels in.
With the advent of the mountain bike the mass market drop handlebar bikes vanished quite quickly because the standard 52/42x14-28 gearing was too high for the normal joe public. With the loss of the mass market, road bikes swung more towards actual racing bikes.

Top Bottom