Why did you choose an e-bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I see lots of e bikes in Denmark. I'm sure to see at least one every time I ride out. I used to give a ding on the bell when I was approaching a ped or cyclist from behind. I've been frightened more than once by being stealth bombed by an electric bike.:0)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are becoming more common on London definitely.

keithmac

Guru
I'm reasonably fit, 39 and 78kg.

I use my bikes for commuting to work and back which is great most of the time. I was ready for a new bike and decide to try a Gtech.

Apart from setting off I am normally out of assistance, but wind is a real pita especially after a hard day at work, the assist then is invaluable and I dont arrive home a sweat mess!.

Theres a long incline on the way home as well, if I'm in the mood I'll pound it out, if not I can slow down and let the hub motor help me out (it doesn't do all the work just gives me a helping hand!).

Made cycling for me fun again rather than just a chore.

simon.r

Person
This is my 82 year old father test riding a Specialized MTB E-bike earlier this week:

image.jpeg

He thought it was great:okay:

Edit - I should add that the service at the Specialized Concept Store in Nottingham was excellent. The guy who we talked to was very knowledgeable, happy to talk to us for ages and even photocopied literature for Dad to take away. And we got to play with one of the new colour-changing frames:okay:

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I'm on with building second one now for the weekends, they can get addictive!.

simon.r

Person
Might suggest an E bike to my 85 year old neighbour :dry:
He was a keen cyclist a few years back on his Curly Hetchins with Deeside Thistle cycling club :smile:

My Dad has cycled, on and off, since he was a boy. He got back into it after suffering a heart attack in '93. He has a Giant Lafree (an early E-bike) and a Brompton with a motor in the front wheel. He came off the Brompton last Winter and has started looking at 'big-wheel' electric bikes so he can safely venture onto canal tow-paths and the like.

He thought the Specialized was great, but wants to look at the other options before committing.

In all seriousness, assuming your neighbour has a degree of fitness a modern E-bike may be great for him. They've certainly helped my Dad maintain a level of fitness and I believe have helped him mentally as well.

Mrs M

Guru
My Dad has cycled, on and off, since he was a boy. He got back into it after suffering a heart attack in '93. He has a Giant Lafree (an early E-bike) and a Brompton with a motor in the front wheel. He came off the Brompton last Winter and has started looking at 'big-wheel' electric bikes so he can safely venture onto canal tow-paths and the like.

He thought the Specialized was great, but wants to look at the other options before committing.

In all seriousness, assuming your neighbour has a degree of fitness a modern E-bike may be great for him. They've certainly helped my Dad maintain a level of fitness and I believe have helped him mentally as well.
My neighbour is "fit as a fiddle" :smile:
Never stops, only trouble may be convincing him he has time for cycling !
Hope your dad finds the right bike for him and enjoys it for many years to come :bicycle:

I'm with you on the Cyclotricity kit. Fitted two on to our Thorn Tours a year or so ago. Now just fitting two of their units on to Giant Stance full suss bikes. Just testing mine this morning and it rides like a dream, floats along.
Could say we got there in the end! Started with purpose built e bike after a bad accident to help recovery, then decided to convert our other bikes, the Thorns. Still not quite right, uncomfortable at times, as accident included breaking back in a number of places. So, one stage further, look at and try full suss bikes, yup could be the answer. Bought two from Pedalon and ordered two of the 500w rear wheel units, and, bingo, perfect. Can really recommend both bikes and kits.

Top Bottom