Why did you start cycle commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Given that it is the time of year when people make life changing decisions (Ok I am a wee bit late with this one, most people have abandoned their New Year resolutions by now). I thought I would ask the question Why did you start cycle commuting?

I first started seriously cycle commuting when I first went to Uni as a mature student and had sold my car to help pay my way. I had occasionally cycle to work before that but not on a regular basis and so at that time thought that when I graduated I would get another car. When I did graduate four years later I no longer wanted a car, and I haven't owned a car almost 14 years.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I started when I handed the company car back as it was costing too much in tax. 10 years on and it is even more of a joy now then it was then passing the ever increasing queues of cars.

Plax

Guru
End of August last year. The concept of cycling to work before had never occured to me. 10+ years prior I did take my bike to university with me but my dad somehow managed to buckle the wheel whilst it was on the bike rack on the way down so my cycling to uni ended before it even started.

I just enjoyed cycling occasionally and decided I wanted to start riding a bit further and more regularly. At the time I lived in Wolverhampton and worked at a dairy on the other side of Telford around 23 miles away, so the first few rides were a bit challenging.
I don't commute by bike at the moment as I work 75 miles from home, but I'll be looking for a new job soon and with any luck I'll be able to start again.

Wolf04

Type 2 diabetes! Been under control for several years now due mainly to exercise. I was hooked after the first week of commuting. Couldn't imagine not wanting to cycle now.

Keith Oates

Janner
I started commuting just to get on the bike more regularly and because I enjoy it at the start and finish of each working day. In addition it gives me freedom to go when I want and not be governed by cars, buses or trains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
Mainly to get some fitness back,and loose some wieght too.

ngalbrai

Moved to London. Detested the tube so much I HAD to look at alternatives, all public transport options seemed slow and unpleasant so got a bike having not riden one in a few years. Intitial commute clapham to vauxhall was only about 3.5 miles (thinking back i cant belive how unfit i was) carried on ever since, every day in london for 5 years with change in location of job and home increasing mileage. Now in Sydney, brought bike with me, do 26 mile return trip because I can, novelty of riding across harbour bridge never goes. Have to confess that I recently bought a car, (but as secondary mode of transport!) as its still viable to actually drive places here if you pick sensible times (unlike london) plus other passion, scuba diving, means too much gear and too much distance for bike. More km's monthly on bike than car so feel ok about it...

catwoman

I always wanted to and moved to a flat where I could comfortably keep a bike safely in the kitchen so started then. I was always interested and knew I could do it despite a couple of horrible childhood accidents on borrowed bikes.
The alternative is walking half a mile to the bus stop, waiting for the bus for however long watching other cyclists enviously and fuming at lone car drivers in big cars and then sitting on a crowded bus.
Give me cycle commuting any day. It helps that my commute is only about 3 miles so I do it in all weathers apart from heavy snow. :biggrin:

ratty2k

Id gotten huge!! (over 21st) so had to do something.... rower at first and then a bike to ride to work. That led to MTB'ing in general and that led onto trying to keep the mileage up so that the MTB'ing got easier.
Plus 97.5% of the time I enjoy it!:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Started because I was enjoying being out and about on the bike more and more - it seemed a natural progression to go from 2-3 milers to the shops to commuting to work.

At the time I lived in Heald Green, and commuted to Manchester City Centre - the journey by bike took less time than walking to the railway station and getting the train, and saved £60 a month into the bargain. Within a month I'd shed a stone in weight, and felt better than I had done since I was training properly.

I've no justification particularly in terms of time or money savings for my current commute (I'm travelling from near Crewe to Wilmslow by train, then Wilmslow to Manchester by bike) - the time it takes is on a par with walking (bike is just slightly quicker) and the difference in cost between a season ticket to Manchester and one to Wilmslow isn't huge, so I'm largely doing it because I like being on the bike.

Top Bottom