Why different users names ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
I think some people like to Dave that's all...

Drago

Legendary Member
I was an accredited cyber crime investigator, which was an eye opener.

I use a different user name on every forum, although I'm only in a couple (one cycling, one ham radio, one jolly exciting Ford Fusion Forum). I use different email addresses for each, and I split my web surfing between different devices, visiting certain websites with only certain devices, and use different internet connections to surf them.

As a consequence chucking my real name, email address, forum username etc into Google brings up nothing about me aside from the one forum searcher already knew about.

It would also be impossible to find information by trying to cross reference device Mac addresses, email addresses, IP details etc.

Never say never, but why make it easy for an idiot/stalker/foreign intelligence service to track you down?

I was an accredited cyber crime investigator, which was an eye opener.

I use a different user name on every forum, although I'm only in a couple (one cycling, one ham radio, one jolly exciting Ford Fusion Forum). I use different email addresses for each, and I split my web surfing between different devices, visiting certain websites with only certain devices, and use different internet connections to surf them.

As a consequence chucking my real name, email address, forum username etc into Google brings up nothing about me aside from the one forum searcher already knew about.

It would also be impossible to find information by trying to cross reference device Mac addresses, email addresses, IP details etc.

Never say never, but why make it easy for an idiot/stalker/foreign intelligence service to track you down?
Seriously you've put so much up about you including photos that even a bone idle raconteur like me could probably find you within minutes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm pleased to see that Googling my name brings up nothing more than a post I made under my own name on a web forum about a century ago in computing time and even that is slipping back page by page as other people with the same name get publicity, mostly in the USA it seems and mostly in sports or for committing crimes.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It always amazes me why some people use a different user name on different forums ?
Basically, as others have said, to stop being tracked across other forums.
I'm not particulary bothered by 'official agencies' tracking me - they have the ability regardless. It's more to keep my privacy from the public and other forum members.
I use different emails, user names, avatars etc for each forum I use and I'm generally careful to avoid posting anything that can be cross referenced between forums.
I also don't do Twitter, Facebook or any of the other social media platforms - at least not in my real name.
You would be amazed how easy it is to get a load of personal information by triangulating a few known facts about someones online record.
There's a lot of dodgy people out there; don't make it easy for them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course, my final line of defence is my name. I share my name with a particularly infamous American (so infamous that when in the states many people thought I was taking the pish), so even if someone with bad intent got hold of my name it would be zero use to them on any search engine

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Of course, my final line of defence is my name. I share my name with a particularly infamous American (so infamous that when in the states many people thought I was taking the pish), so even if someone with bad intent got hold of my name it would be zero use to them on any search engine
Were you a former stockbroker, investment advisor, and financier by any chance? ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Most of us, even the @Drago of this world, are sloppy when it comes to online info. Stick around on CC long enough and you'll disclose enough info to be tracked down. I have I'm sure.

Given that my real name and address are probably easily found I have to consider what someone could do with that. In the old days the same info was in the telephone directory and available to all. Hacking my identity for financial gain is probably the most likely so I'm careful not to disclose who I bank with, what Credit Cards I have, use false DoB etc etc

Tim Hall

Most of us, even the @Drago of this world, are sloppy when it comes to online info. Stick around on CC long enough and you'll disclose enough info to be tracked down. I have I'm sure.
I think Drago gave enough SAR info away a few years ago to get him found. But I can't find him now.

Top Bottom