Why do audax riders prefer spd's to look type shoes/pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Why oh why?

I wear SPDs for audax and Looks for time trials because SPDs are easier to walk in at controls.

Also if doing a long ride at moderate effort you don't get as much benefit from the broader platform as you do if pedalling harder for a shorter distance (ie racing)

However I do see quite a lot of people audaxing in Looks or SPD-SLs or similar.

yello

Ease of walking to/from controls and cake stops is the obvious answer.

That said, I wear Looks. Did for LEL and will do for PBP. I also take judo type slippers to make matters easier if and when needed.

Fiona N

Veteran
Of course if you use Crank Brothers cleats you can move seamlessly from out-and-out mtb pedals (eggbeaters) to small platform spd-equivalent (Candys) to full platform road pedals (Quattros) changing shoes or not as you go.

I use stiff, racing mtb shoes for longer rides/Audaxes on my road bike with Quattros so I get the best of both world :biggrin: But sometimes just to look the biz, I use a pair of Sidi Genius too :rolleyes:

ian_oli

Über Member
Of course if you use Crank Brothers cleats you can move seamlessly from out-and-out mtb pedals (eggbeaters) to small platform spd-equivalent (Candys) to full platform road pedals (Quattros) changing shoes or not as you go.

I use stiff, racing mtb shoes for longer rides/Audaxes on my road bike with Quattros so I get the best of both world :biggrin: But sometimes just to look the biz, I use a pair of Sidi Genius too :rolleyes:

I used to use ordinary egg beaters for shorter Audax rides (up to 200K) whic are very similar cleats to spd as you could wear mtb shoes and walk easily. Then I swapped to Quattro for longer rides. I found that over 400K I started to get nasty foot problems as too much of my pedalling force was going through a small point, the eggbeater cleat.

I swapped to full-on road pedals (Shimano SPD-SL) and carbon soled shoes and these and some other adjustments cured the problem. While I still like using Eggbeaters, I tend to leave the road pedals on my Audax bike all the time.

By the way some Audaxers like wearing sandals and I think you can only get SPDs for that.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Wot Lee said.
I've done Audaxes, Sportives, a century and Mont Ventoux in SPDs. No problems with my feet, and it's so much better not doing an involuntary pirouette on slippery floors while carrying cake.

(A full 360. And I didn't drop the cake :biggrin:)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Wot Lee said.
I've done Audaxes, Sportives, a century and Mont Ventoux in SPDs. No problems with my feet, and it's so much better not doing an involuntary pirouette on slippery floors while carrying cake.

(A full 360. And I didn't drop the cake :biggrin:)

I just had a mental image of a cyclist spinning out of control, Cake in one hand coffee in the other , gloves tucked under arm. and crashing onto a table in a crowded lunchtime cafe somewhere.
:biggrin: :biggrin: It must have happened.

fungus

Veteran
I use Shimano spd sl cleats, same style as the looks but better traction control. MTB shoes make sense for audax though, race stiff carbon soles aren't really needed and they are much more comfy to walk around in. Simples really
wink.gif

frank9755

Cyclist
I just had a mental image of a cyclist spinning out of control, Cake in one hand coffee in the other , gloves tucked under arm. and crashing onto a table in a crowded lunchtime cafe somewhere.

It did to me after a time trial last year. I was wearing my Looks and slipped backwards. There was tea on the ceiling and all over me, sitting on the floor. But no cake was involved, thankfully

TheDoctor

Europe Endless

I didn't crash into anything, but it was a close call.
Looks + polished wooden floor = Comedic potential :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I didn't crash into anything, but it was a close call.
Looks + polished wooden floor = Comedic potential :biggrin:
Looks + tiled pub floor = slithering across it until you collide with the bar and then falling over backwards :biggrin:

Luckily it wasn't me, but after witnessing it I decided Time Atac pedals were a good thing.

OP
OP
DooBlood

DooBlood

ThANks guys,

I have looks and was wondering why I was the minority. Wonder if the 'bike fit' people do bike fits with spd type shoes?

Top Bottom