Why do bikes give me so much grief?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
Can you get the inner front mech cage closer to the chain without it rubbing?

It's already really close now. I tried to pull it further away, but the thumb adjuster won't let me tighten it enough. The cable may need to be reinstalled in the mech, but I can't do that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The front mech needs to be just 2-3mm above the big chain ring teeth, and just so it's not rubbing when in the lowest and highest gears.

It's OK to bend it back as most are steel. Some front mechs are pants though. I threw out my daughter's front mech on a new bike as it was crap, too much flex, and replaced it with a SRAM X3 to match her X3 rear mech.

It's already really close now. I tried to pull it further away, but the thumb adjuster won't let me tighten it enough. The cable may need to be reinstalled in the mech, but I can't do that.
Slacken cable right off and use lower limit screw to move it as close as you can to chain without rubbing - in lowest gear combination obviously. Then tighten cable.

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
I did that just now. One thing I noticed when I was doing my test ride after adjusting the front mech is that the ratcheting noise has nothing to do with the drivetrain (except, possibly, the hub). It actually does happen when I'm freewheeling, and seems to be something rattling, but for some reason it's exacerbated by pedalling. When not pedalling, it's a very subtle noise. I've checked the bolts on the side of the headset already (not the one on top, don't know what it does), and everything seat related is well-greased and tightened up.

Same goes for the bolts on the chainring, crank and pedals.

Last edited:

HorTs

Über Member
I don't think there are many thing more frustrating that an rogue rattle/creak/knock from a bicycle.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
I've checked the bolts on the side of the headset already (not the one on top, don't know what it does),

beginner here.. but is that on top - i think its used to set the pre-load

i moved 2 spacers to above the stem and had to tighten that bolt until all the free play was removed and the stem could still swing easily from side-to-side

with it too loose, there was a clunking if the front wheel was bounced up and down

real techie explanation there..................:rolleyes:

worth a try.?

Top Bottom