Why do cyclists run red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
2257229 said:
What about when it is quite pointless though? Pelican crossing that turns red and the person who pushed the button has crossed and gone. Plenty of us still stop for that one.
That's a good time to fiddle with the mp3 player, or else to fix spelling and grammar in cycle chat posts composed on the move.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you count vehicles going through on amber (which I believe but would not swear is the same offence in law) I reckon you would see 10 motor vehicles rlj in *each* of those minutes

You believe correctly. If however you are so close to the line when it changes to amber that to pull up would itself be dangerous, then you may proceed as though it was green. IOW: flooring it to get through while it is still on amber is just as illegal as going through on red.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
You believe correctly. If however you are so close to the line when it changes to amber that to pull up would itself be dangerous, then you may proceed as though it was green. IOW: flooring it to get through while it is still on amber is just as illegal as going through on red.

It is an offence to fail to stop on amber but there is a valid defence if driver believes it would be dangerous. Crossing on red is an absolute offence; only defence is instruction by a police officer in uniform.

GrasB

Veteran
It is an offence to fail to stop on amber but there is a valid defence if driver believes it would be dangerous. Crossing on red is an absolute offence; only defence is instruction by a police officer in uniform.
Or you moving through the red would enable you to avoid a collision.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
TfL survey on RLJing:

tumblr_mfr3u7wriR1ria1gco1_1280.jpg

StuartG

slower but further
Crossing on red is an absolute offence; only defence is instruction by a police officer in uniform.
Is that true?

I was stopped (driving a car) at a red traffic light protected by a camera when a Fire Engine on blues & two came up behind. Do I move over the line to let him through and get a flash (and try negotiate with the insane people who administer penalty tickets in London) or put lives at risk? I dithered. Happily the lights decided to change and solved my conundrum. But we really don't need any ambiguity here. Flashing blue lights should mean 'get out of the way' with the same authority as a fully dressed plod.

CopperBrompton

Yes, I recall one time years ago I was driving on the M20 on a coned-off section with only one lane open, 50mph limit but nobody working there. A police car with blues-and-twos came up behind me. I waved to them then accelerated to 90 until clear of the cones, and got a wave of thanks as they accelerated past. These days, with all the speed cameras around, I'm not sure I'd do the same.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Is that true?

I was stopped (driving a car) at a red traffic light protected by a camera when a Fire Engine on blues & two came up behind. Do I move over the line to let him through and get a flash (and try negotiate with the insane people who administer penalty tickets in London) or put lives at risk? I dithered. Happily the lights decided to change and solved my conundrum. But we really don't need any ambiguity here. Flashing blue lights should mean 'get out of the way' with the same authority as a fully dressed plod.

As I understand it yes. There are fairly regular cases in popular papers where people get camera tickets for this sort of thing. Problem is camera rarely captures the fire appliance or ambulance.

StuartG

slower but further
Problem is camera rarely captures the fire appliance or ambulance.
Even if they do they are rarely manned by police in uniform. Otherwise it should not be a problem as i understood that all blues & twos must be carefully logged so it should be straightforward to cross reference any defence against incident.

My gambit (if the lights had not quickly changed) was to wait till the engine was right behind me so it would feature on the snap too. Silly and potentially dangerous. And if you are right - no defence!

CopperBrompton

The problem is we're dependent in this situation on intelligent decision-making, a commodity that is frequently in short supply among those making prosecution decisions.

Top Bottom