Why do I feel really ill after a long bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
I tried Jelly Babies for the first time on Saturday - damn good too. Open the packet before you leave, in a pocket, just reach in and snack every now and again. Worked brilliantly and so much better than fake gel taste.
Just need to find bigger packets of jelly babies now...
The problem with jelly babies is I'd have eaten them all before reaching the end of my road. :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

MrsT

How fast are you going and what sort of terrain? I probably drank 250ml while riding 45mi today and a litre with lunch (two thirds of the way round) but I'm not fast and I have no truck with over-processed foods like gels and powders. I'm riding a tour, not Le Tour.
I average 16mph mostly flat, a few hills but nothing in manageable. I never struggle whilst out. I would just rather try sticking to good old fashioned fluids and a couple of snacks if I can. Rather than buying loads of supplements.

If you cycle less distance i.e. go back a few months, do you still get this. If no, perhaps you are still adapting. As said, 8 miles a few times a week to 50 at the wknd is a big step up, perhaps too much. I might think about reducing my wknd distance and increasing the weekday distance. Extend your commute home in the summer (nearly) evenings and/or increase your frequency. A few weeks of that will give you some answers.

The other thing that occurs to me is your bike setup, that could certainly cause headaches and general fatigue. Wrong height handlebars or wrong length stem will increase strain on your neck and shoulders which might trigger the headaches is one example.
I did gradually build up to the 50 miles, however I have considered increasing my weekday rides. That's easier said than done as I don't have set working hours so often I am straight home to bed haha. I am going to look at my riding position as I noticed a little strain on my knees too, so what you are saying also makes perfect sense.

Apologies if you've thought of this already but it sounds like a lot of your distance rides are on Sunday. Do you partake of alcohol on a Saturday evening? An amount of alcohol not sufficient to give you a hangover per se is enough to significantly lower your blood sugar level before you start cycling.
I tend to do my drinking on Fridays that's why I chose Sunday as my ride day. It seems pretty obvious from everyone's comments that my suffering is from my lack of understanding and poor planning. I have now invested in a couple of cages for my bike. As well as some energy drink and will ensure I eat sufficiently. Let's see what happens then? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is that eating foods with a high sugar content including energy bars just made me feel rotten during and after a long ride. They mess my digestion and health up big time and rot your teeth at the very least.
A full english breakfast has got me up more hills intact than any carb loading toxic regime..strange maybe...but true.

vickster

Legendary Member
All that grease and volume would make me want to chuck at the top of a hill though! We're all different, trial and error :smile:

Tojo

Über Member
EAT real food in between supplements and take on some carbs and protein as early you can before you go on a longer ride, it will pay dividends, and most important..keep hydrated...the only time I used to get headaches ( I never have had them all my life...even when hungover ) was when I was working in West Africa I did then and it was down to de-hydration.....It works for me but I cannot say its gonna be your saviour......:wacko:

Top Bottom