Why do I feel really ill after a long bike ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
How fast are you going and what sort of terrain? I probably drank 250ml while riding 45mi today and a litre with lunch (two thirds of the way round) but I'm not fast and I have no truck with over-processed foods like gels and powders. I'm riding a tour, not Le Tour.

Well the OP is struggling as she stated, so perhaps we aren't all the same. Horses for courses and you can eat mung beans or something out of the lab as long as it helps.

I went out with the lads last week to do 45 miles, averaging about 21mph on the flat. I buried myself on the hills and got dropped, ended up spinning the last 10 miles home at about 10mph as I was knackered and kept cramping up.

I ramped it up trying to keep up. I normally travel along about 15mph and spin up hills, I was out my depth and afterwards was weak, tired hungry and shaking.

I was under prepared, should have brought more food and drink so I suspect like me you bonked due to lack of energy.

If you cycle less distance i.e. go back a few months, do you still get this. If no, perhaps you are still adapting. As said, 8 miles a few times a week to 50 at the wknd is a big step up, perhaps too much. I might think about reducing my wknd distance and increasing the weekday distance. Extend your commute home in the summer (nearly) evenings and/or increase your frequency. A few weeks of that will give you some answers.

The other thing that occurs to me is your bike setup, that could certainly cause headaches and general fatigue. Wrong height handlebars or wrong length stem will increase strain on your neck and shoulders which might trigger the headaches is one example.

vickster

Legendary Member
Coffee/tea and cake stop half way round :okay: Porridge before you ride and water regularly as you go. What sort of sugary snacks? Go with flapjack or fig rolls, not choc or energy gels. Jelly babies every so often or just because they are yum :smile:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well the OP is struggling as she stated, so perhaps we aren't all the same. Horses for courses and you can eat mung beans or something out of the lab as long as it helps.
Exactly. That's why distance alone isn't enough for good guesses. 50 miles of moderate hills in 2 hours is a whole different thing to 50 miles on the flat in 5 hours.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I had the same problem remembering to drink and would always have a banging headache and feel sick after anything longer than 40 miles. I solved it by using the alarm on my Garmin and set it to go of every 20 min and made sure I had a good drink. If your just sipping and then forgetting to even do that then I bet my bottom bracket you're dehydrated.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Exactly. That's why distance alone isn't enough for good guesses. 50 miles of moderate hills in 2 hours is a whole different thing to 50 miles on the flat in 5 hours.

100% right. It's time on the bike and the effort you're putting in that matters. Even though I ride a fair distance every year I wouldn't dare do 4 hours very hilly hard miles (which would be 50 miles) without careful planning of food and hydration.

To the OP, eat a decent meal an hour before you set off, drink a litre of fluid during this hour. Drink plenty on the way around. Keep nibbling at food on the way round. You'll be fine

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm not doing that sort of distance but I don't drink enough when I'm doing 30 miles if it's water in my bottle I just take sips. I put diluted fruit juice in and find that I drink far more. I found in winter it was too cold, and in summer I didn't like the taste of warm plastic flavoured water.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I found in winter it was too cold, and in summer I didn't like the taste of warm plastic flavoured water.
Taint-free bottles (sigg or similar in metal - is cleanbottle a plastic one?) would avoid the taste problem, insulated bag would avoid the temperature one, but using a bag means it's not in a cage, which annoys some people.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apologies if you've thought of this already but it sounds like a lot of your distance rides are on Sunday. Do you partake of alcohol on a Saturday evening? An amount of alcohol not sufficient to give you a hangover per se is enough to significantly lower your blood sugar level before you start cycling.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Taint-free bottles (sigg or similar in metal - is cleanbottle a plastic one?) would avoid the taste problem, insulated bag would avoid the temperature one, but using a bag means it's not in a cage, which annoys some people.
The diluted juice thing seems to work for me, and I don't care how diluted it is, so I can just top up with more water as I need it. Today I accidently put my bottle in my pannier and couldn't be bothered to stop and get it out, and ended up downing two glasses of water as I came in the door, then drank my water bottle too.

Travs

Jelly babies every so often or just because they are yum :smile:
I tried Jelly Babies for the first time on Saturday - damn good too. Open the packet before you leave, in a pocket, just reach in and snack every now and again. Worked brilliantly and so much better than fake gel taste.
Just need to find bigger packets of jelly babies now...

@MrsT - I can't really but echo what people have said. Fuel and Water - and sleep. Make sure you get a good night's sleep the night before.

DWiggy

Über Member
Anything over a 25mile ride I take a sugary energy drink along with a separate electrolyte drink, 35+ a bit of grub to eat n the bike like a banana and or a jam sandwich (with lots of jam)

vickster

Legendary Member
I tried Jelly Babies for the first time on Saturday - damn good too. Open the packet before you leave, in a pocket, just reach in and snack every now and again. Worked brilliantly and so much better than fake gel taste.
Just need to find bigger packets of jelly babies now...

@MrsT - I can't really but echo what people have said. Fuel and Water - and sleep. Make sure you get a good night's sleep the night before.

I much prefer the haribo ones from poundland. Smaller, less sweet and less powdery. Given them a try ;-)

Top Bottom