Why do idiot b*stards do this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I had a friend who went to Clitheroe Royal Grammer School. He was very intelligent,but also very stupid. On nights out he'd chuck bricks through shop windows,set fire to phone boxes,chuck bricks through car windscreens and other such moronic things.
Did he end up in prison for his repeated acts of criminal damage, and if not why not?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did he end up in prison for his repeated acts of criminal damage, and if not why not?
No,he never had his collar felt. Most of his acts of idiotic vandalism were committed when we were walking home,so no police would be about,unlike they would be in town centres. One night we phoned for a taxi from a red phone box (about 1978). The taxi driver said he'd be about 10 minutes. It was a cold night. I nipped for a quick pee down a back alley only to return and see the phone box in flames. He'd set fire to the yellow pages,saying he wanted to warm up. The whole phone box eventually went up in flames! Then one night we saw an old vintage type car parked up. I was stood there admiring it when i saw a red brick hit the windscreen. He said he did it as he didn't like the car. Naturally after both incidents we ran away! If i'd stood around waiting for the police, for me to say 'it wasn't me officer,it was my friend', it wouldn't have washed and i would've taken the blame for his actions.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Doesn't perspex have similar strength to toughened glass but without the surface tension? I know it scratches easily, but the shelter would remain intact.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Doesn't perspex have similar strength to toughened glass but without the surface tension? I know it scratches easily, but the shelter would remain intact.
Perspex is brittle and not very strong. Polycarbonate (eg Lexan) is much stronger. It's also quite good at resisting impacts.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
All our bus shelters have perspex, but now the kids try to burn holes in them, some have moved on to smashing the street lights now at lest one a day in my area it's a full time job for the repair man, why they don't put a wire grill over them I'll never know.

Drago

Legendary Member
View attachment 580283
I suppose its because that is exactly what they are.
The shelter was fine on yesterdays walk and today....this.
It really does upset me.
It also puzzles me.....how do they do it ? They must go armed, looking for property to damage.
So sad.
I blame Brexit.

runs for cover...

Youthful exuberance. I can't remember if I've recounted it here or elsewhere but used to hang out with a guy who seemed perfectly normal until one day he decided that it would be a good laugh to drop a concrete slab off a motorway footbridge, after which I never saw him again.

*searches* Oh bloody hell I was meant to reply to that thread :ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
Unfortunately municipal items such as bus stop and phone boxes have always been easy targets for drunk youths when showing off in groups.
Most people will grow out of it, but there is always a new set of idiots to take their place.
:okay:Theyve been doing it for decades...nothing new at all, as you say.

All our bus shelters have perspex, but now the kids try to burn holes in them, some have moved on to smashing the street lights now at lest one a day in my area it's a full time job for the repair man, why they don't put a wire grill over them I'll never know.
There you are - another reason to wear a cycle helmet - in case a smashed street light falls on you

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall as a young teenager one our gang got hold of the smoke capsules that gas engineers use to test flues. Rolling them under bus stops at night from behind seemd jolly amusing back then.

Top Bottom