Why do my inner tubes keep developing leaks through the valve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Airlane1979

Twice in the last week my inner tubes have leaked through the valve. In the latest one, it was a brand-new tube that I took out and within a couple of hours punctured on the road. At home, I fixed the leak, tested the tube, then deflated it and replaced it inside the tyre. On refitting it to the bike, I began inflating it but after a few seconds it lost all its air through the valve. Why would this be? How can I stop it happening? I'm buying too many new tubes.

OP
OP
A

Airlane1979

Schrader. These are basic tubes. I've never seen a tube with a removable core but I'm no expert. It's a problem I've not had in 50 years of cycling until the last couple of weeks. Why would a new tube do this?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
All schrader valves have removable cores. It might be that you're somehow introducing dust or dirt into the valve & it's failing to seat properly. Or it might be that they aren't properly tightened from new (though I've never seen this). Are they all one make?

Ajax Bay

Guru
my inner tubes have leaked through the valve [twice]. In the latest one, it was a brand-new tube that I took out and within a couple of hours punctured on the road. At home, I fixed the leak, tested the tube
Tell us how you 'fixed the leak' - which if I've understood right was 'through the valve'?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If it has leaked next to to the valve, then it can be that the valve hole in your rim has something sharp that needs removing or deburring. What happen when you submerge one of the tubes inflated, in water?

Do you keep the cap on the valve whenever possible?
and do you ride of keep it in any environment that contains a lot of dust or similar?

I'm just wondering what could cause the valve to leak as I have seldom had one do that
I did have one once but I replaced the vale and it was OK
The replacement valves I got came with a valve key that also had a ream for the outer and inner screw thread

Top Bottom