Why do people have tandems? what are their advantages etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 449934
that looks average to me.

this is what we call small...
View attachment 449935

Looking up the dimensions, the Neon is 3 inches longer than a Renault estate car I looked up as I am not familiar with estate cars. But it is also 3 inches more narrow. So fitting a tandem across the back of a narrow Neon being 3 inches more narrow, I don't see it a problem strapping a tandem across an estate car with the wheels removed. I use a Saris Bat Rack.

Maybe the Neon looks average in the pic but it is a very low profile small car. :okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Looking up the dimensions, the Neon is 3 inches longer than a Renault estate car I looked up as I am not familiar with estate cars. But it is also 3 inches more narrow. So fitting a tandem across the back of a narrow Neon being 3 inches more narrow, I don't see it a problem strapping a tandem across an estate car with the wheels removed. I use a Saris Bat Rack.

Maybe the Neon looks average in the pic but it is a very low profile small car. :okay:
The neon is average in the UK. An estate is a big car in the UK. Last time i was in the USA, some of the 'cars' looked like they needed an HGV license!

rvw

Guru
The car we can get the tandem in is a Ford C-Max but we also have one of these (Toyota IQ - makes the Aygo look big) :
upload_2019-2-1_16-0-48.png

You get a choice - rear passenger seats or boot, but not both. I have however managed to get a solo bike in this!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The biggest selling personal vehicle in the USA is the Ford F150. In fact, Ford only makes one vehicle that we would call a "car" for the US market now, and it's the 5 litre Mustang. Everything else is a truck or SUV.

A Ford F150 is too big for UK parking spaces and many UK roads, and the best claimed mpg is 23 miles per US gallon (just under 29 mpg here). Doomed? Yes, we are.

I have never ridden tandem myself but I can see the many advantages of having one - several have already been mentioned there are however disadvantages to having one also.
Storage,transportation when needed are just two of those that I can easily identify.
I bought one which deals with the storage transportation part quite easily. It is a Coventry Eagle convertable. Once it was dismantled I carried it home in the back of my car and that was without lowering the back seats. I haven't yet got it going but it can also be used as a solo machine so it is versatile.

mostly harmless

Regular
I got my tandem as a bit of an impulse purchase from my local bankrupt stock shop for 400euro. It's been great, done over 2500km with it since last March, mainly sub 20km rides to take/pick up my daughter.

Advantages:

I'm a stronger climber than she is so if we ride the hills, the tandem equals out the pace.

090311A.jpg

IF we ride at night, I have full controls and feel safer about her being out on the road at night.

101515B_zpsye9bmhma.jpg

If we're riding and a boat load of people hop on the back, I don't have to worry about her getting lost in the mix.

0T8_zpsks6k65b1.jpg

If my back itches, I got someone to scratch it! :biggrin:

0T3_zpsjfc7dyi8.jpg

Advantages:

I'm a stronger climber than she is so if we ride the hills, the tandem equals out the pace.

View attachment 451992

IF we ride at night, I have full controls and feel safer about her being out on the road at night.

View attachment 451993

If we're riding and a boat load of people hop on the back, I don't have to worry about her getting lost in the mix.

View attachment 451994

If my back itches, I got someone to scratch it! :biggrin:

View attachment 451995
Just make sure they are on board before you set off ! :whistle:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member

Is your wife unable to steer a bicycle in the dark, or cope without being next to you ? :smile:

Is your wife unable to steer a bicycle in the dark, or cope without being next to you ? :smile:

Well we are flying downhill in the dark at 30 MPH. I feel better being in control and knowing where she is at all times and knowing she won't hit my wheel if she's on her single bike. I am also a very defensive rider and feel my handling skills are better than hers though she is a really good rider. I just don't want any silly mistakes at night in the dark.

Keeping the wife safe is an advantage!