Why do presto valves exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Sounds like cheap tubes BTFB. Most decent tubes are pretty much welded to the valves.

domtyler

Über Member
I had this problem when I bought a batch of crap tubes, drove me absolutely mad, thought it was me or something I was doing. When all the crap tubes had gone I bought some decent ones and have never had the problem since.

U

User482

Only valve failures I've ever had have been schraeders.

giant man

Only ever had Prestas and find them fine, don't understand how you're tearing the tube itself BTFB, but I guess by their very nature they are more 'fiddly' thank Schraeders.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I tore off a few valves pumping tyres up when I was over tightening up the little nut that holds the valve against the rim. It seems best to make sure its really loose when pumping the tyre and only tighten it until it barely touches the rim.

compo

Veteran
Before the advent of pumps that don't use a flexible connector but just push onto the valve we didn't often have problems with the valves. I have bent presta valves pushing a pump onto the valve but have now returned to a conventional pump with a flexible connector.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Leave it off , its completely unnecessary, as is the dustcap.

Actually, if it isn't overtightened, it's rather useful as a way of reducing stress on the valve/tube join, which can be quite high every time a pump head is forced onto the valve - this is because it uses the rim to resist the pressure rather than the delicate tube material at the interface between valve and tube.

Repeated stress at this join can lead to failure - especially in cheap butyl tubes. The problem is probably even more likely in delicate latex tubes - in the past I've found that Vittoria latex tubes frequently failed in this way, even with the nut in place, so it shows how critical the valve/tube join area is to tube integrity and emphasises why it is good not to stress it any more than necessary. Ever since, I have treated tubes very carefully when pumping, due to the fact that these failures usually occur with sudden rapid deflation, which could be catastrophic on a fast winding descent; it also means I don't trust latex tubes an inch any more and never buy them now.

Top Bottom