Why do sports shoes stink of cat piss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

It's the glue they used (most likely made from cats:whistle:) put litter in a double pair of old stockings that you have laying around before putting them in shoes.

PS you chaps do have some stockings your not using.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
When my cycling shoes get a bit stinky, I give the insides a generous dusting of bi-carb soda. Leave overnight, ideally 24 hrs. Empty the shoe of the powder and the smell has gone.
Tried this last nigh and it hasn't made a tiny bit of difference. The cat piss smell still stinks the garage out. I'm catching whiffs when I'm pedalling along! I'm going to throw them out and buy a new pair.

lejogger

Guru
shoes.JPG
I think this picture of my office window says it all...

Arsen Gere

Über Member
You can get sprays that contain silver. It's antimicrobial. I've not used it myself.

However Mrs. Gere uses silver clay for making jewellery and I got some of it and mixed it with water. I used an equivalent amount of water and soaked a piece of bread, the other half I covered in silver clay + water mix. The wet bit went mouldy in a week but the silver coated bit didn't.

So I mixed it with paint and put it round a window where we had some black mould in the winter and the mould did not come back.

Wikipedia has a ref to it see the medical secton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver

lejogger

Guru
You work in a bathroom ?
haha, looks like it doesn't it?!

I think they had to use frosted glass in my office due to the residential properties next door :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bung mine in a bucket full of water + washing up liquid and give em a good scrub + rinse every so often and leave to dry .
This works if you have a day or 2 off the bike or a "wash and wear "

redcard

Veteran
Only the other day the girlfriend was accusing my gear of smelling like cat piss. I thought she was talking nonsense.

MrC

Some of my sports gear starts smelling like that. Other stuff doesn't. Must be one of the materials brings out the worst in my sweat. Or the cats selective about what he pees on

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I find this topic perplexing and starting to get me a bit paranoid about my own personal odours! I have never had trouble with smelly footwear as far as I am aware. My cycle shoes are probably around 10yrs old and the closest they have been to having a clean is receiving a good hosing out after a muddy mountain bike ride then thrown on top of the boiler to dry when/if the heating comes on. If they get wet on my commute same thing, pull them straight off my feet and onto the boiler. I am sure I would notice if they did smell strongly of anything, I do occasionally notice I get a bit whiffy after a hard days physical work and we have a cat and I can tell if she has let me down and left a damp patch somewhere.

I wonder if the problem is more personal? I am not questioning anybody's hygiene but everybody is different and maybe the make-up of one persons sweat contains something that is causing the odours?

Sunlight is nature's disinfectant.
I'm not sure about this. Water has to be stored in dark containers to stop the formation of algae. When travelling, water cans should not be clear or uncoloured polythene as the water soon goes off/green.

Top Bottom