Why do women get so stressed at christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're buying presents for any relatives who are under six years old this year, and no one else. We're staying at home (first ever christmas in our own house!), I'm doing the dinner (cos I'm a better cook than Ms RT) and we're going for a long walk on boxing day.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Haven't trawled through the post properly but to respond to the OP -

sounds like Mrs Bhoyjim is saying to you in a non direct way - I need some help with this from you - especially with the 'all you can think about is riding your bike' comment - might be that she's taken a lot on (too much) and needs a hand and maybe as Arch suggested a bit of time to put her feet up and relax.

Me personally, couldn't give a toss about running around like a blue arsed fly for Xmas!!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
sheddy said:
Don't forget the Oxfam 2nd hand shop - http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-store - also stocks brand new stuff donated from the Departmental stores. Just search for what you need.

With free delivery, but voluntary contributions accepted. So if you just want one book for instance, they suggest the postage it might be.

I bought someone an excellent book from there about the Aurora Borealis. A Swedish version translated into English, published at the time of the Lillehammer Winter Olympics. I know the recipient has been to Lillehammer, enjoys the Winter Olympics and is intending to see the Aurora Borealis some time. Suits them to a T.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
ttcycle said:

sounds like Mrs Bhoyjim is saying to you in a non direct way - I need some help with this from you - especially with the 'all you can think about is riding your bike' comment - might be that she's taken a lot on (too much) and needs a hand and maybe as Arch suggested a bit of time to put her feet up and relax.

Me personally, couldn't give a toss about running around like a blue arsed fly for Xmas!!

I think you are right there, ttcycle.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

ttcycle said:

I see where you're coming from, but when i've got two bikes to fettle with tonight, is she going to offer to help, :rolleyes:

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Arch said:
I wonder how often it's down to M-I-L pressure - I think many women feel under pressure to be as good as 'his mother' - and no doubt some M-I-L take pleasure in causing such stress if they come to visit.

Others will probably be in the position of being expected by hubby and kidsto do everything, and take the blame if the turkey is a moment late or the sprouts not cooked right, despite also probably having a job and doing all the housework as normal.

+1

Our family only started 'doing' Christmas about eight years ago so my mum's not had to deal with it but Mr Weenie's mum is harangued and stressed at continuously about Christmas stuff while working a full-time job and everything else.

D

Deleted member 1258

My Mrs has been buying Xmas stuff for months, me, I got paid Monday, went on the Internet Monday night and sorted, out all presents, just got to wait for them to arrive, then nip into town for cards, job done, sorted.

lady_rider

Wheeledweenie said:
Mr Weenie's mum
Does he know he gets called that? :sad:

Our traditional family Christmas fayre is a hearty homemade soup and bread... with Christmas pudding as dessert. Pretty much my usual (not the pudding) but just so damn good and easy to make!!

Top Bottom