"Why do you cycle?" - or Why do you DRIVE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. We provide onsite support for clients, so while most days I'm in the office taking calls, I can be called out to a client's office anywhere in the North West without notice if there's a problem. Thinking about it, I could bring the bike in the car on a Monday morning, leave the car at work all week and take the bike back in the car on the Friday. Might try that next week.

Ah! right! So the 4 miles is the car trip to work in the morning. Your alternate solution sounds good...

GrasB

Veteran
On the subject of the OP I've run used & abused cars for most of my driving life but have never had to spend money to get the car through the MOT, take it to another MOT station because the rear seats & seat belts weren't installed (there was a roll cage were they usually are located) yes, but never had to fix something. The general good maintenance of a car should mean they just passed every time with nothing more than a standard weekly check the day before. The problem is a paid for 'service' at a garage doesn't come close to what I'd call a 'service' on my drive.

My partner drives to work because she doesn't want the hassle of cycling in during all weathers yet maintain her flexibility with working hours. But it's about 13 miles on mostly free flowing roads & does actually take less time to drive than cycle even at rush hour. Personally I prefer to commute on my bike as cycling to/from work means I have to detach & relax, I just go to fast n' hard to do anything else but concentrate on my riding. It's a great way to start & end the day.

+1 to Sheffield_Tiger, being in an RTA shouldn't be a part of using the roads, period! Lets ignore 'on a bike' in an ideal world it wouldn't happen.

Sailorchick

We have a car at home but I cycle to work and my husband gets the train. Both options are quicker than driving despite the very different journeys. I commute 3.5 miles through Southampton and he has 30+miles to travel.

Would love to not bother with the car but as we both sail competitively we are off all over the country to sailing events towing 2 boats so a car (great big estate so it can tow and we can sleep in it) is essential.

Top Bottom