..." why dont my tyres fit ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i just going to assume that you have the right size and not got 700c by mistake. so can only think you are finding them tight to get on, is that the case? slicks are often harder to get on the nobblies. continental mtb slicks seem particularly hard to get on, and don't get me started on those bloody marathon plus things ;-)

cheers, velocidad

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've found mtb nobblies far easier to get on than various thinner tyres on my 700c. Some like marathon plus are nearly impossible to put on.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you're used to low pressure mtb knobblies, you'll find that high pressure mtb slicks will take a lot more effort to put on. i was able to remove a set of knobblies without so much as a tyre lever, only to shred my hands getting the geax tyres on.

that said, i've had worse with some vittoria rubinos on an awkward 700c rim.

Ivan Ardon

What size slicks have you bought?

If they're imperial (e.g. 26 x 1 3/8) then they'll not fit - not all 26 inch tyres are the same size.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are they too big or too small? If they're too big, there's nothing you can do but take 'em back & swap them. If too small, you might be able to wrestle them on, with metal levers, brute strength and a bit of fairy liquid on the rim. Then just pray you don't get a p*****e.

OP
OP
G

gbspark

ah good question , i thought they were 26, but they seem to be to big, maybe 26 and 1/4, mmmm, i'll have to go to a good bike shop to sort them, i think the man a my local bike shop dont know the difference but he will soon , thanks for info lads,

MartinC

Über Member
You need to check the ERTRO sizing on the tyre e.g. 47-559. This is the actual size of the tyre in mm - for the example given 47mm in section and 559mm in bead diameter. Normal MTB rims are 559 so if your doesn't have this on it then it isn't the right size.

Top Bottom