Why is it always about helmets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rarely wear a helmet when cycling.

However, when going further than five miles or so, I wear ridiculously flimsy lycra with padding and protection only where arse meets saddle.

I've been biffed by cars many times and have executed beautiful and parabolic unplanned dismounts of my own creation nearly as many times...

When I get to the 'sudden stop' bit of a dismount, it is rarely my head that gets torn up; it is the parts of me clad either in nothing or in thin lycra.

How is it that when people see me riding past like that, the only part of me they think I ought to be protecting is my bonce?

When I get scared on a fast descent, it is not the fear or a bang on the head, but a fear of tearing skin off my hips, thighs, arms and torso that unsettles me.

Is the worrying public worrying about the wrong thing?

Discuss (or not).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:laugh: I'm a bit like you, have no doubt that in a fall my helmet won't help, would rather wear knee and elbow padding if I could. But the helmet keeps my hair half decent for work, so I wear it. Don't think that in a fall I would bang my head, I'm too slow somehow. As a matter of fact, the only time I came off my bike I landed on my hips.

How is it that when people see me riding past like that, the only part of me they think I ought to be protecting is my bonce?

Its because they are all deeply informed and know that Thompson, Rivara and Thomspson's landmark paper showed helmets also protect against 75% of leg injuries. Wear a helmet, you know it makes (dollars and) cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom