Why is it that one can not delete one's CC account?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
So, for a practical example, if you could delete you account ....

What should happen to this thread if you do?

1. delete your posts, and leave the others intact, making it incomprehensible?
  2. remove all posts, deleting other people's content without their permission?
  3. leave your content here, but not attached you your username? Well, to do that, it would still have to have a unique name. So they would rename your account, but you can do that.
If you can come up with a practical way of removing an account, without garbling every thread you've been in, then I will volunteer to help shaun implement the change.

It's quite straight forward for the admin to delete an account if there is not an option in the admin control panel it would be done via the mysql database.

Deleting an account would automatically delete any thread created by the user and any post created by the user. It would remove the quote from anyone's post who quoted the users post. It's not really a big deal but I can understand why many forums don't allow it.

Unless someones real name and info is plastered on the forum I don't see why anybody would care about having their posts/account deleted though.

classic33

Leg End Member
Because Facebook is a huge company with 250+ million market cap, that subject to pressure and bad publicity, and has almost infinite resources to make changes.

CC is a small place, based on presumably open source software that probably is not designed for deletion, so would require reprogramming from the ground up. Combine that with .... what do you do with quotes of you? remove them? remove the entire quoting article?

Facebook also insists on you using your real name, and most people do. I'm guessing you don't have a credit card named "CarlP", so you account won't likely come up in a google search on your name. And you can change your account name, so that gives you some privacy, too.

What @Scoosh quoted - if you delete an account, you will corrupt the database and break everything.
Was he with the TSB I wonder?
A "Classic Plus Account" by any chance.

Shaun

Founder
[QUOTE 3858622, member: 9609"]so how long are you going to keep all the threads and posts for ? and why ? Take a thread like "Tea" what are you going to do with it ? is anyone ever going to read it all from the beginning?
should there not be a time limit where posts drop off and disappear after say 5 years, it seems a bit wasteful to keep all of the witterings from made up characters for ever.[/QUOTE]

For as long as CycleChat is around we'll keep the content; some of the older threads and posts are still regularly referenced, many years after they were posted. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3858622, member: 9609"]should there not be a time limit where posts drop off and disappear after say 5 years, it seems a bit wasteful to keep all of the witterings from made up characters for ever.[/QUOTE]
I'm not made up!

Publish it as a book?
Well, there is a precedent!

51HP9GP8FVL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That doesn't answer the question. When I signed up for FB Twitter and LinkedIn, I agreed to similar T&C's but I was able to delete my accounts anyway (they don't make it easy) . Why can't folk delete their forum accounts if they want to? The right to be forgotten so to speak.

Just out of interest, why do you see that as a right? Are people not responsible for what they post here, just as they are responsible for what they say/write/do elsewhere?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, why do you see that as a right? Are people not responsible for what they post here, just as they are responsible for what they say/write/do elsewhere?

I don't see at as right, but mention in that post as a concept as put forward by others Including the EU. People are absolutely responsible for what they say and do on the Internet. Personal responsibility and all that.

I put forward the question with regards to this site merely out of curiosity, and as they say in the best US legal dramas, it was asked and answered.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
What @Scoosh quoted - if you delete an account, you will corrupt the database and break everything

Not necessarily, the code should be able to handle the exception not data found easily. Every programer I know would write exception handlers like a matter of yes or yes. The people that design and code a piece of software like CC aren't inexperienced software developers.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have you ever looked at a thread where someone has gone back and removed all their posts for whatever reason? What remains behind is a muddle. And that could be seen as a positive by someone having a flounce, wanting to leave in a flurry of disruption.

JMAG

Über Member
I wonder if that is legal, they hold financial information.

Can't you just update any information you don't to leave there? Interesting and slightly disturbing nonetheless.

While I'm here I might as well confess that my name isn't really JMAG, it's Squirrel Hunter :smile:

Top Bottom