Why is one more expensive than the other?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twitchboy

Regular
There is a difference of almost £400 between both of these bikes. The more expensive one looks nicer and has even been reduced to half price but I just don't know enough about the difference in their components to establish what makes the more expensive one worth the price? Can anyone see a real difference in terms of the quality of these components to justify the difference in price? If so, what are the stand out components that make it worth buying?

£285
http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/6ku-complete-bike-nebula
£649
http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/leader-725-complete

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The cheaper one has a high tensile steel frame which is the cheapest/heaviest material for a frame.
The other one has a 725 frame which is a Reynolds product code number but no mention is made of Reynolds tubing being used in the spec which is strange as most companies would use the brand name so it may not be.:unsure:
Reynolds, Columbus and Tange are the 'top' brands of steel tube and normally command a premium price due to their quality.

vickster

Legendary Member
725 is a pretty high spec steel, it's light and comfortable (I have on my genesis), carbon fork on the more expensive one too. I'd expect weight and comfort to be chalk and cheese. If looking for a commuter to leave in a high risk area or anywhere, go for the cheaper one. If looking to treat yourself to a toy rather than a tool, the more expensive, make sure it's properly insured though

raleighnut

Legendary Member
725 is a pretty high spec steel, it's light and comfortable (I have on my genesis), carbon fork on the more expensive one too. I'd expect weight and comfort to be chalk and cheese. If looking for a commuter to leave in a high risk area or anywhere, go for the cheaper one. If looking to treat yourself to a toy rather than a tool, the more expensive, make sure it's properly insured though
You'd think they'd say Reynolds though. :scratch:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Oh, and just to add, it's not all about the frame. The more expensive one uses higher quality components throughout whereas the cheaper one is all entry level stuff (Quando hubs for example).

Top Bottom