Why It's Almost Impossible to Ride a Bike 60 Kilometers in One Hour | WIRED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
And because your education is obviously recumbent...and it shows as you missed the bit just for you...
"For the hour record in athletics, see One hour run. For the hour record in non-upright bicycles, see Hour record (recumbents)."
As said above, Penny Farthings, bicycle(two wheels), have their own hour record.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Try watching the actual Video and learn what this Thread is about!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUE3qDnFtU

And just in case your attention span does not get to the important part then just for you ? :sad: ...

(The hour record for cycling is very simple. It's just one rider going as far as possible for one hour. WIRED's Robbie Gonzalez explores the physical power needed to push for 60 minutes and the equipment and track choices that can make or break the record.)

But the title is making a statement that isn’t true. If you stymy your aero dynamics to that of a brick 🧱 of course you are going to be slower. But that is an artificial UCI constraint, not a constraint of the bike.

Its a bit like opening a parachute then complaining you can’t reach 120mph terminal velocity

classic33

Leg End Member
Try watching the actual Video and learn what this Thread is about!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUE3qDnFtU

And just in case your attention span does not get to the important part then just for you ? :sad: ...

(The hour record for cycling is very simple. It's just one rider going as far as possible for one hour. WIRED's Robbie Gonzalez explores the physical power needed to push for 60 minutes and the equipment and track choices that can make or break the record.)

Pre 2014 rules or current rules?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When you eventually watch the Video ? you will notice it's about a specific type of Hour Cycling distance! and type of bike! nothing to do with recumbents, penny farthings , trikes, and any other type of bike, bicycle you can dream up!
There now who would have thought I would have to explain it like I would to a child! :sad:

Trikes are not bikes, clue is in the name

As explained to you earlier. Come up with a poor type of bike when it comes to aero dynamics and of course it’ll be slower for the hour record.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Which rules did she break?

Solocle

Über Member
When you eventually watch the Video ? you will notice it's about a specific type of Hour Cycling distance! and type of bike! nothing to do with recumbents, penny farthings , trikes, and any other type of bike, bicycle you can dream up!
There now who would have thought I would have to explain it like I would to a child! :sad:
It's a specific type of hour record, the UCI compliant one. If the UCI changed their rules tomorrow, and allowed recumbent bikes with any aero fittings, like fairings, then the hour record would fall the day after tomorrow. And it would be over 60 km.

It's a specific category which is artificially constrained by a governing body. That's not to say that it's invalid, but it's inconceivable to think that the outcome of UCI rule changes and advances in technology between now and the extinction of humanity, or indeed the evolution of our species, couldn't result in a 60 km UCI hour record.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
[/QUOTE]

But that isn't the same. They go around a measured track, but their actual distance isn't measured. If they went up and down the banking they would travel further but that wouldn't be recoreded - so, not really legitimate. UCI certified perhaps, but not accurate.

Bordeaux-Paris? Motorpaced and thus cheating. (won by Tom Simpson in 1963. What a cheat.)
Tommy may not be the best example to support your point ;-)

My personal view is that motor-pacing is purely of technological interest; I see no relevance to cycle "sport".
(Kierin is obviously in a different category, as the real racing happens after it pulls off.)

I just can't see the point of those long moto-paced races like Bordeaux-Paris - except as a promotional exercise for [I don't know, but I'm sure some group with cash thought there was some benefit!]

Anyway, that's my view.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
that motor-pacing is purely of technological interest; I see no relevance to cycle "sport".

when I've watched a day at the track cycling, the endurance derny races are very exciting to watch (where the derny goes all the way to the end, one derny for each rider). Don't forget, although air resitance is less for the rider thus the speeds are higher, the rider still has to keep pace, its no good the derny rider leaving the cyclist behind. there is a huge amount of skill within the "team"

Top Bottom