Why no pockets in padded shorts?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by Dave7, 10 Aug 2012.

1. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

I can see the obvious (aero dynamics) etc. but surely the benefits of a pockets would outweigh any negatives....just for a handkerchief?
    That's my moan for today done.....but every time I don my shorts it crosses my mind!

2. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Just use Jersey pockets :smile:

3. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

I don't think I'd like having a side pocket full of keys, coins, etc, not for any aerodynamics considerations, simply because in the event of an off where the hip takes some of the impact, you risk gouging some painful holes into your upper thigh.

Norm likes this.
  4. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Every pair of baggy shorts I've had has had a pocket - as has every cycling jersey!

5. Friz

Friz The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.

Just snot in your gloves.

6. lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck Well-Known Member

Couldn't they have a back pocket? like runners bottoms do.

7. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Why? Cycling jerseys have pockets, which are convenient. Pockets in cycling shorts are very inconvenient because of the way you're sitting on the bike.

8. Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster Über Member

They have two enormous pockets. Both legs. Tuck a hanky under the elasticated leg, above the gripper strip and it has zero chance of coming out.

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

No need for pockets in padded shorts.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Man up and wipe your snott on your glove or arm or better yet rocket that shoot to the ground!

11. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

I was going to make a comment about using a 'Bangkok Hilton' style pocket, but it would be much too uncomfortable...

12. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I make it a rule to have nothing hard - phone, keys, tools, coins - in jersey pockets. I know a chap whose cycling career was effectively ended when he landed on his mobile phone. Handkerchief goes in the jersey pocket. Pockets in shorts would just get in the way.

13. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

As said, when falling you really don't want side pockets as that tends to be the main contact point with the ground. Pockets in your cycling top are much better.

Norm likes this.
  14. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

I have a couple of pairs of Santini bib shorts that have a pocket in the small of the back

15. lordloveaduck

lordloveaduck Well-Known Member

I use runners cothing as i find it more comftorble to ride in. I have also seen others use runners clothing.
    It hasn't effected which bike i can ride or how i ride.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice