Why no pockets in padded shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I can see the obvious (aero dynamics) etc. but surely the benefits of a pockets would outweigh any negatives....just for a handkerchief?
That's my moan for today done.....but every time I don my shorts it crosses my mind!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just use Jersey pockets :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't think I'd like having a side pocket full of keys, coins, etc, not for any aerodynamics considerations, simply because in the event of an off where the hip takes some of the impact, you risk gouging some painful holes into your upper thigh.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Every pair of baggy shorts I've had has had a pocket - as has every cycling jersey!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Couldn't they have a back pocket? like runners bottoms do.
Why? Cycling jerseys have pockets, which are convenient. Pockets in cycling shorts are very inconvenient because of the way you're sitting on the bike.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I can see the obvious (aero dynamics) etc. but surely the benefits of a pockets would outweigh any negatives....just for a handkerchief?
That's my moan for today done.....but every time I don my shorts it crosses my mind!

They have two enormous pockets. Both legs. Tuck a hanky under the elasticated leg, above the gripper strip and it has zero chance of coming out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No need for pockets in padded shorts.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I make it a rule to have nothing hard - phone, keys, tools, coins - in jersey pockets. I know a chap whose cycling career was effectively ended when he landed on his mobile phone. Handkerchief goes in the jersey pocket. Pockets in shorts would just get in the way.

GrasB

Veteran
As said, when falling you really don't want side pockets as that tends to be the main contact point with the ground. Pockets in your cycling top are much better.

lordloveaduck

Why? Cycling jerseys have pockets, which are convenient. Pockets in cycling shorts are very inconvenient because of the way you're sitting on the bike.

I use runners cothing as i find it more comftorble to ride in. I have also seen others use runners clothing.
It hasn't effected which bike i can ride or how i ride.

Top Bottom