Why no R.I.P. Jonathan Miller thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
A true polymath. Also a grumpy man. I’ll miss him. I loved his mafia styled Rigoletto.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am not sure what to make of Jonathan Miller. I used to see him from time to time on the telly during the 70s and 80s, but I gather his heyday was in the 60s as one of the Cambridge Beyond the Fringe stars alongside Alan Bennett, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I watched him on a cultural review programme in the 80s where he was one of the guests. His pick for the month was an Open University programme. He had not been impressed by anything else. I have to say he was not my cup of tea and wondered why he was on the telly so much back then, but I later learnt he was one of the Beyond the Fringe quartet alongside Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and Alan Bennett during the 60s.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure you're right Drago. He was really only on a few arts and " intellectual" progs on C4 and BBC 2. Don't forget this was in days before the cult of personality and celebrity and I don't think he would be a suitable for I'm A Celebrity so must be destined to languish in semi obscurity.

Levo-Lon

Guru
To answer the thread title...

...you can't be a has-been if you're a never-was.

I don't wish him any Ill, but apart from a few pseudo intelligentsia in the media no one really knows who he was.

Ive never heard of him in 54 yrs

Top Bottom