Why, Oh Why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a nice couple of months commuting and in just over a year living here, I've never had a problem with this roundabout (its really a square with rounded corners and parking in the middle and bus stops on the long sides). Its got 2 lanes on either approach and the circulating carriage way. The traffic nearly always light but the majority of traffic on my approach the A903, Granton Road wants to take their second exit West Granton Road, ie head straight. As usual I move to the offside lane of this approach and the middle of the lane nearest the roundabout and filter out gradually. As I pass the the West Granton Road I indicate left and pull off at West Harbour Road. Due to the gradient of the road/ roundabouts this is very smooth and easy. Why, oh Why? tonight when I was the only traffic on the roundabout just as I'm half way passed the 2 lane of the West Granton Road Access did some SMIDSY decide to pull out. He gave way as I passed then decided to crawl out, ignore my signal and try and undertake me. I remembered some advice somebody gave on here (or C+), to give them the palm of the hand (stay back) signal; it seemed to have worked he backed off. But Why, Oh Why when traffic was really light and when he must have saw me, I was in a most visible position aided by the fact visibility is good, did he proceed to crawl out after giving way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Because we all make mistakes...... you did the right thing and it worked. You also anticipated it... great stuff this commuting by bike, switches the old brain onto 1000% - i.e. judgement etc is far better on the bike than car. I'm loving commuting again after an 8 year break ! Oh how well the old grey matter kicks in.....

yenrod

Some tw@t this eve went past me pretty bloody quickly, those type of things irritate the hell out of me as all these bloody cardrivers have to do esp. if nowt 'oncoming is move their right hand (steering wheel) one inch towards them and so cyclist has space = everyone happy: but no they are THAT ****ing lazy !

domtyler

Über Member
Just chill, sure if you get knocked flying by a twenty ton truck come and bitch, but for that? Why oh why?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep.. chill... life by bike is better.... believe you me !!!!!!

I'm a hardened cyclist.. done it for 20 odd years properly.. i.e 37 now and been a roadie since 16... Had the last 10 years out of commuting because of work. Dumped all that recently and back commuting by bike.. Yeh folk can be daft, but I am not stuck in the box, radio on or not, wet or dry.....
I am happy.....shoot happens... deal with it !

Maz

Guru
Why oh why oh why...is the order of my chromosomes.

You'll get over it HLaB. These things happen.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Good advice. I don't think I explained the undertake right this is what freaked me out. After crawling on to the roundabout he suddenly accelerated to undertake, only to find there wasn't space and have to break. I think this might have irked him as 2 seconds later he went for the undertake again, driving straight at me when there was even less room. Got home last night and my favorite chill out film was on, the Shawshank Redemption :smile:

Top Bottom