Why on earth do we need to use a mobile phone on a plane??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Pete said:
One thought occurs to me: what happens when your phone switches from the local (i.e. your home country) network to an overseas one (with corresponding hike in tarrifs)? Is it a sudden switch-over or is there a dead zone? Could this happen in mid-call? I presume for UK residents there's always going to be a dead zone over the Channel anyway.

Last week we came across from France on the ferry, so the question of prohibitions didn't arise. But, knowing that I'd lose cover as soon as we were out at sea, and not needing to make any calls, I dutifully switched off as we set sail and didn't switch on again till we were docked in Newhaven.

I remember when I was working in Eire, about 15 mins into crossing the Irish channel from Rosslare, you would lose a signal and about half hour before you got to Fishguard you would then pick up a signal again.

gavintc

Guru
When I worked in Northern Ireland about 10 years ago, you had to be careful when turning on your mobile near the border that you did not inadvertently pick up the southern Irish option. It would be an expensive mistake.

Top Bottom