Why primary is so important

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidtq

Terminator said:
A cyclist in primary position is causing no hassle to anyone obeying the highway code!

Yes but that's in the perfect world.

Yeah and if they want to break the highway code and endanger my life they can feck off and stay behind me, If they would want to risk my life Im happy to hold em up. ;)

I dont hold up traffic where I think its safe I happily take secondary, but where I think its important I take primary, any driver it causes a problem for would be a risk to my life if I didnt.

Cab

Brilliant answer Davidtq. Brilliant.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Damn, with no sound here, I'm missing out on Jacomus's posh voice!

Good video - needs trimming a bit to make the point. We really should get around to making a set of "how to" (and "How not to") videos, like we discussed a while back...

I had some particularly good overtakes last night, my Polite vest must have been looking especially authentic....:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah. Got the sound now. See why there's such a long lead in... Sorry...

Dunno about Posh. Nice, in a radio 4 kinda way.

catwoman

I nearly got taken out by a lunatic roofer pick-up truck this afternoon on Holloway Road.
Very busy cross roads junction, congested with traffic. I was waiting at the lights with the truck beside me. As I took off on green I noticed a car had sneaked through the other lights on red and had taken the left turning wide, leaving a comfortable amount of room for me to get across the busy junction.
It didn't pan out that way as the roofer decided to overtake me and take my place in the road and squeeze into the lane making a two vehicle breadth lane accomodate three vehicles.
I gave way to the truck, there was no way he was letting me stay in front of him. From my position behind him as he got to the other side of the junction I could see he was so close to the side of the road his wing mirror nearly got taken off by the ornamental finials to the iron railings to the side of the pavement. It was just at the right height to strike them. He nearly hit a pedestrian waiting at a crossing with the wing mirror as well.
Madman! If I'd tried to stay in front of him and take primary I would have been squished. :ohmy:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Was in the van with Mrs. tdr1nka tonight returning home from White City thru Fulham & Chelsea. From Earls court to Vauxhall bridge we were being tailgated by WMV who we had previously watched bullying motorists out of his way, getting stuck behind busses and bullying his way out again. It was after passing him stuck that we got him stuck behind us. He was on his phone and constantly edging out on a 2 lane road to try and desperate to overtake, basically some of the most agressive driving I have seen. Mrs tdr1nka remained supurbly calm, not letting him cause her to break the speed limit or shrink the gap between us and the car in front while he 'hunted' the back bumper. I on the other hand started videoing his driving with my mobile phone to which he put his lights on full beam, sadly it was dark so the vid didn't show much but headlights.

The WVM eventually undertook us and forced his way back into the traffic 2 cars ahead and started his hunting game again.
I took his photo with my phone as he passed us(sadly you can't make out his face)and he was composed and intent, no sign of frustration at all. This leads me to believe the guy just drives as he likes and sees fit. IMO This is exactly the kind of driver that need taking off the road.

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What I neglected to say was that when I meet a drivers like these when I'm on the bike I will hang back and let them go as a rule, so tis is my choice not to be bullied.
Then I hope too meet them wrapped round a lampost 1/2mile ahead so I can laugh raucously as I ride past.

T x

Yeah and if they want to break the highway code and endanger my life they can feck off and stay behind me, If they would want to risk my life Im happy to hold em up.

Yes it happens all the time.I dont think I want some comedian boy racer up my 'arris...i'd rather get out of the way if possible but that's just me.

Im just on my commute in and im sure I will be okay as usual even though I ride to what suits me and not to what suits people on this board.(That doesn't mean RLJing or breaking the rules of the road)

Not a bad commute back thanks.Normal fare boy racers Sunday drivers and me tired as usual.Tempted to get the train back as I have suffered food poisoning at a guess over the last few days but thought a bit of exercise may help me fight it off.Thanks to the Condor rider at Bethnal Green who let me pull away from the lights although I let him pass soon afterwards as I guessed he was faster than me.Usual "different" sort of drivers on the Stratford - Leyton bit as opposed to the Aldgate - Stratford bit and one comedian ped at Bethnal Green who decided to stop looking after he realised no cars were nearby (or no engine sound)...Got past him safely though.

One thing I realised today is if my road positioning is so bad then why wasn't anything ever said about it on those club runs of the late 70's?

Im sure that would have been the time to change my ride position and for it to stick.

I did also notice with the Condor rider (I was watching him) that he was riding more primary.(That should please you lot):idea:

Top Bottom