Why would a pedal spindle work loose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There's no need to unscrew them regularly. Just grease them when fitting and only remove them if the pedal bearings need attention. The recommended tightening torque is very high - 35 to 55 Nm.

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing to watch for very very carefully when removing and installing pedal axles is to inspect the threads on the axles very carefully, look for any aluminium material from the cranks and make sure they are absolutely debris free when you install the axles back in. Any debris will rip into the crank threads damaging them irreparably. This could have been a slow process of light damage each time slowly damaging the threads each time .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Presumably this is a 'fixed' issue only, Ian?
Strangely no. On one occasion the rider was I think climbing & came off on unscrewing the pedal. I think this was after maintenance, the bearings tightened themselves to locked.
The other occasion was an old friend, JJ, whose bike maintenance was notorious. We had just left Barcelona airport, heading inland. We'd refitted our pedals after the flight. I assume he neglected to tighten one of his.

silva

Über Member
Another thing to inspect when pedals had play / worked loose, is hairline cracks around the cranks pedal eye.
Those will grow, allowing the eye to open a little bit, and in the end cause crank failure, which can end up in a cyclist bad story.

OP
OP
Sillyoldman

Sillyoldman

Veteran
It appears counterintuitive but they are threaded to tighten, because the mechanism of this tightening is not one of friction but of precession. The spindle effectively rolls its way tighter, rather than being screwed out of the crank arm.
This is why I can’t work out how it worked loose.

OP
OP
Sillyoldman

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Another thing to inspect when pedals had play / worked loose, is hairline cracks around the cranks pedal eye.
Those will grow, allowing the eye to open a little bit, and in the end cause crank failure, which can end up in a cyclist bad story.

Yes I will have another close look tomorrow. I rode 40 miles today having tightened the pedal yesterday. No issues all good. Will ride again tomorrow. Cheers all.

Top Bottom