Why would you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just noticed a bike in the bike shed at work this morning is gathering dust. I have clocked it previously because it's a nice bike (Croix Dr get 20, about £1.4k?). It's always in the same spot but nothing unusual in that, I also tend to park in the same slot too.
There's always a couple of dumped bikes with flat tyres but nothing this exotic and only realised it was abandoned today when I noticed the dust, cobwebs and rusty brake discs.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Slick

Guru
Probably not the original owner as it would definitely be over a grand new. Maybe someone fell heir to it and it's just a means to an end but whatever has happened to the owner, it's a shame to see such a nice bike neglected like that.

Whoever’s bike it is, they clearly wanted to keep it. Looks like it is locked at the frame, the pedal and then a third cable lock? I’m wondering if they have lost a key and don’t know how to break the lock.

This is where someone distracts sherlock from his coke.

Any sudden deaths in the company?

I have the idea that some bike thieves stash their bikes stolen for sale in bike stands so that they are less linked to them, but this i take it isn't a public stand.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There are/were two perfectly good bikes left locked up to a bike stand near to me last year. One in September, joined by a single speed then locked to it in December. The bikes are now rusting badly and the Raliegh's front wheel is now missing.

potsy

Rambler
Just noticed a bike in the bike shed at work this morning is gathering dust. I have clocked it previously because it's a nice bike (Croix Dr get 20, about £1.4k?). It's always in the same spot but nothing unusual in that, I also tend to park in the same slot too.
There's always a couple of dumped bikes with flat tyres but nothing this exotic and only realised it was abandoned today when I noticed the dust, cobwebs and rusty brake discs.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

View attachment 531839

View attachment 531840

View attachment 531841
Keep your mitts off my bike! :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to get that when I worked. People would cycle to work, often on decent bikes, and suffer a puncture. Instead of taking the bike home they'd leave it to fester in the bike shed taking up space, sometimes for 6 for more months. After a while it started to impact on the space available for people who did actually ride their bikes so I had to order the owners to remove them.

I think it's partly sheer laziness, partly that many people don't regard cycling as a healthy, fun activity, but something to be done grudgingly as an unavoidable alternative to driving. It's these people that do this sort of thing.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I suspect more to this story than just dumped

It's set up with quite an aggressive riding position...not something an occasional cyclist would do. It's also heavily locked, again suggests a regular cyclist. What's interesting is the frame pump still seems to be attached which presumably could easily be removed by anyone. Toeclips are interesting, not sure what I'd read into those other than an occasional cyclist probably would have those

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As we're in lockdown, won't it just be something simple and straightforward, such as the owner had to leave it at work and has been isolated at home and can't get back to work yet.

Be reasonably easy to track down if you speak to HR, about 6'- 6'2" [height of seat post], possibly in their late 50s/early 60s [older person- uses toe clips] who cycles regularly to work [rack and mudguards]... possibly furloughed so non-essential worker [marketing or sales :laugh:]

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Certainly a puzzler!

It's not a public place so must be an employee (or now ex). The lost key theory doesn't work because we have a seriously heavy duty maint and facilities team that would have the locks off in seconds and everyone on site knows it. Tyres are still holding air and bike looks mechanically complete so doesn't appear to be waiting for repair.
I did wonder if it was one of @potsy's but he isn't that tall :tongue:
Other than the pedals and missing rear mudguard it is pretty much how I would run it.

Might have to make some enquiries....

I suspect more to this story than just dumped

It's set up with quite an aggressive riding position...not something an occasional cyclist would do. It's also heavily locked, again suggests a regular cyclist. What's interesting is the frame pump still seems to be attached which presumably could easily be removed by anyone. Toeclips are interesting, not sure what I'd read into those other than an occasional cyclist probably would have those
Ah sherlock makes an appearance.
Any ideas on relative leg length, dental oddities, shoe size of owner?

Perhaps there's some mud on the pedals that can be traced to a rare type of loam found only in Maidstone? :okay:
I left a bike locked in the bike shed for 3 months when I first met my wife 30 years ago - she had a car and suddenly, to my shame, the bike was relegated. Of course, it wasn't there when I went back to get it... the wife was though.

The riding position, mudguards and just the fact it's a Genesis Croix de Fer say "change in circumstances" to me rather than "giving up on this cycling lark". Would rotors go rusty like that in the length of time of lockdown? (3 months?)

Top Bottom