Why???????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

chris42 said:
Does this mean the wife will accept the £4999.00 bill?

Speaking as a wifey-type personage, I would have no objection to my nearest & dearest spending such an amount on a new bike, as long as it was for one that fitted *me* perfectly ;)

This will do nicely...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Go for a custom build !

Custom builds are wildly over-rated. No better than most major manufacturers are producing at a fraction of the price and in my experience more likelyhood of of getting a Friday afternoon job with some disappointing faults.

Ditto handbuilt wheels.

Keith Oates

Janner
Smokin Joe said:
Custom builds are wildly over-rated. No better than most major manufacturers are producing at a fraction of the price and in my experience more likelyhood of of getting a Friday afternoon job with some disappointing faults.

Ditto handbuilt wheels.

A friend of mine in China wanted a custom built fixie with Titnium frame. I recommended a local LBS and the deal was eventually done after much waiting. The bike has never been good and is always giving trouble which makes me feel bad, but to be fair, my friend has never compained to me about the recommendation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spire

To the point
mr_hippo said:
Look at it mathematically - x=n+1 where n = number of bikes you currently have and x = ideal number of bikes.

This is a well-known, and correct, formula.

Unfortunately, there is another aspect in my case.

a=cost of current bike

b=cost of new bike

AND

b=2a

:smile:

frank9755

Cyclist
I have a fantastic carbon bike with top wheels and dura ace kit.
so can someone tell me why I MUST have a new bike?

Everyone is looking at the supply side but it's a demand issue. It's not about the bike, it's about how much money you have to hand and how much you want to spend it!

The good news is that it doesn't matter which bike you get, it will be great. I've not met a person yet who has spent £x,000 on a new bike and not said it was wonderful!
rolleyes.gif

asterix

Comrade Member

Ditto handbuilt wheels.

My Roberts compact audax is the best bike I have ever ridden. It just feels dead right as soon as I sit on it and the frame is beautifully made. I haven't had to alter a thing since I bought it 8 years ago and last year I did the Raid Pyrenean on it in pretty crap weather. Coming down the Tourmalet first it was snow then sleet then heavy rain. Due to the cold, I had to make a fast descent to stop shivering but the Roberts handled beautifully.

OTOH

The Bob Jackson custom (yr 2000) was indeed disappointing - I don't know what they were thinking of! I have had several changes made to it, got it right eventually and it is a brilliant tourer now. Lovely frame let down by stupidity. They were quite rude and aggressive when I complained. British customer service at its worst IMO. Did the camping Raid Pyrenean on it in 2007 very successfully.

My wheels have all been built by Spa Cycles except the Harry Rowlands on the Roberts. All very reliable so far!

My 2 OTP bikes are good but not exceptional.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have a fantastic carbon bike with top wheels and dura ace kit.
so can someone tell me why I MUST have a new bike?

Well, no offence or anything but I think it's because you are...a human being. Please don't take offence mate. I'm exactly the same and so, I would guess, would be everyone else reading this. Except those who aren't, obviously.

BJH

Über Member
Mallory quote about why climb Everest seems apt too - "Because it's there"

Or indeed Tom Simpson - "Something to aim at"

Can you imagine the day ever coming when you can look at your bikes and think, I have no interest in having any other bike?

Probably not, so keep aspiring!

Top Bottom