Why...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hey Classic 33 - just a quick log on tonight but have many pointers for this letter re persuasive negotiation - the impact isn't there at this point as there is no arguement built up to convince them.

I'll have a proper look at it at some point this weekend if I get the chance and post properly!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
It is only the starting letter, points picked out & be built on before the final letter. But at least someone is still reading & willing to help.

Thanks

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ok going to be brief with my reply but the best way to structure a letter/email to companies is in this kinda fashion:

Don't worry about listing who on the forum can do what as that can be summed up really easily and is not so relevant for a company.

Start off with something like:

We are a group of cyclists that are working on a national campaign through a cycling forum to tackle the issues around deaths of cyclists with HGV involvement. The numbers stand at X statistic deaths so far this year.

A summary of what the issues are and how we intend to campaign on the issue - Mention firstly the video we are looking to produce - name the ones already out there and why they aren't effective ie dry/too long/preachy etc, other parts of the campaign involves ie talking to members of the cycling public, warning stickers on lorries and buses, attempting to link in with HGV community and cycling organisations and bodies- also highlight that their will be plans to write a press release for broadsheets/newspapers and tv news media.

After talking about spreading the campaign nationally and via different media streams...

Then say we are currently raising funds to obtain a HGV - I am contacting you as we are looking to loan a HGV and possibly a driver though we have a driver from the forum for a day of filming:

a- this is a mutual business opportunity for you to promote your company in a national campaign by using a branded vehicle in our video.
b -this demonstrates your company's support of green transport means and ethical business practice which are important issues amongst your customers
etc etc along those kind of lines

Does that make sense classic 33 - I haven't got time at the moment to fully draft out a letter but if you get the letter written up and post again I can help you with it some more and edit it if you want!

Hope those pointers make sense!

thomas

the tank engine
classic33 what is the full letter (or an example of a full one?)...From what I read above, I wasn't really sure what it was all about.

What ttcycle wrote seems like a good start for a letter.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I had not realised that I last up-dated that list of offers as long ago as 1st August - time flies ;).

It was done in order to help Magnatom keep track of kind offers of help in the early days of "Time for Action". It may be that some people would like their offers amended or changed for whatever reason.

After I did that list, the subject got very complicated and I somewhat lost track of who would like to do what. Not sure of the best way to bring the list up to date. Should I start a new thread called "Offers of help" then people could pm me and I would be happy to alter it and up-date the offers. Or have you got other suggestions for amending it.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
thomas said:
classic33 what is the full letter (or an example of a full one?)...From what I read above, I wasn't really sure what it was all about.

What ttcycle wrote seems like a good start for a letter.

What I put was the bare bones of a letter. Get everything thats been/being done to date on the matter & work it from there. Easier expand as I go along, but before sending the final copy.

Suggestions on letter content/context welcome.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Classic33- you said that you'd contacted haulage comp before - do you have the letter/email and maybe we can work from that?

It's easier to make suggestions when we have something more solid to work with.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
As used on the contact forms on company websites.
Writing as a cyclist
I'm wondering if you would be willing to help us get this campaign of the internet & onto the roads. Where it can best do its job.
The opening post says what the aims are from the outset. To try & cut the number of injury & deaths caused when a cyclist & a lorry meet. See attachment.

We have now reached the stage where we as cyclists are putting our money, in some cases time as well, towards the equipment needed. What we are lacking however is a response from companies that operate HGV's. Even the Road Haulage Association will not answer on this one.

Why isn't certain as any participation on their part could only put them in the positive spotlight. The have been made aware & are willing to try to work with cyclists to cut the numbers. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

Progress to date can be followed at http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37713
OR if dubious about the link:
CycleChat.co.uk > Cycle Chat > Community > Campaigning & Public Policy > HGV / Cyclist Safety Campaign > Time For Action

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Yours

There's not always a lot of room on these forms. Some larger local companies have been informed over the phone.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
brief points - I still feel there is no impact here - my original points about how to layout the letter still stand as there is no solid structured arguement as to why they should be involved really and letter also sounds apologetic almost for contacting them.

Final point is find a person-named contact those online forms will go into some generic inbox and will be deleted if not seen as relevant to the company.
Try find press officers or PR people, or customer satisfaction type people?

thomas

the tank engine
Just as an example, this isn't a letter, but a press release so the end out come of what you want is similar. I'm not saying this is the best press release but it did turn the benefit of a magazine exposure on one of my websites into a 5-10 minute segment on BBC radio, including an interview.

http://www.guessmyage.net/gma_press_release_13_09_08.pdf

I also helped co-write another press release, here:

guitar123.co.uk/pressrelease.pdf (please don't link to this directly)

That got us a meeting with a large magazine publisher, which publishes the majority of guitar related magazines in the UK.

I don't want to criticise you as you've taken the effort to write the letter, just wondering if the way the letter has been written maybe has effected the outcome. Maybe take a look at the two press releases...to some degree they helped get what was wanted, or at least closer to that.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
thomas said:
Just as an example, this isn't a letter, but a press release so the end out come of what you want is similar. I'm not saying this is the best press release but it did turn the benefit of a magazine exposure on one of my websites into a 5-10 minute segment on BBC radio, including an interview.

http://www.guessmyage.net/gma_press_release_13_09_08.pdf

I also helped co-write another press release, here:

guitar123.co.uk/pressrelease.pdf (please don't link to this directly)

That got us a meeting with a large magazine publisher, which publishes the majority of guitar related magazines in the UK.

I don't want to criticise you as you've taken the effort to write the letter, just wondering if the way the letter has been written maybe has effected the outcome. Maybe take a look at the two press releases...to some degree they helped get what was wanted, or at least closer to that.

My last post was the wrong one. That has been sent to the leaders of the three main parties in the UK + their respective ministers(transport, enviroment).
To date no response on this.

First posting of a letter type letter, was for anyone on here to chip in. Some people would word the same thing a different way. I started with a brief outline of what we were trying to do. In italics gave what we had to date. Then the links to the site, both for e-mail & physical letter. I'd have started from that & worked to a final draft copy.

Top Bottom