Why...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
do companies that operate HGV's seem to feel that "Time For Action" isn't of any benefit to them.

Large or small, the companies spoken to seem to feel that we, cyclists, are not worth getting involved with. Given the reason for it being started I'd have thought the chance to be seen as acting in a responsible manner regarding the operation of their vehicles would have been jumped at.
The Road Haulage Association don't even want to know that someone is willing to try & help sort the problem with them.

Any ideas why.

New thread started rater than hijack time for action.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Maybe there is no business viablity for them ie there is no profit and it takes one of their trucks out of action in their minds? Call me a cynic...call me anything...lol

TBH - depends who you contact as well really as some people are more interested in the issue than others - who have you been contacting in the companies as it depends what their focus is on?

Have you tried corporates like supermarkets etc as they'll want to up their 'green and ethical' credentials even if it is a load of surface sh*te. Worth trying and thanks for giving it a shot!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Local haulage companies, some operating the length of the country. Multi nationals & even the supermarkets. With no real response. The usual of saying that their chosen charity/society is the one they are focusing on was expected, but not even that.

All pointed towards the thread, Time For Action.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Classic33 - at least it's an avenue that's been exhausted- big companies aren't usually qucik to jump and help small grassroots campaigns - ie your 'brand' is not large enough to be a publicity pull for us.

Best to use time, energy and resources plugging away somewhere else. Again, thanks for trying but if they're not willing to help...not a lot that can be done.

thomas

the tank engine
Why not try ASDA? They have just raised over a million quid for bike club (cycling youth charity - helped by CTC), their CEO has just done lands end to John.,..

Was a short thing in the CTC magazine. It seems that as a company they have been interested in raising money for cycling (no doubt to sell their cheap bike range)...but they may be willing to help out.

I reckon part of the reason a lot of companies aren't interested is partly it doesn't make them money, but potentially, this project could do no good. If the press aren't interested then it may well be a waste of time for them. Yes, it may get a bit of interest on youtube or whatever and help a handful of people, but not get any national attention.

If you could get someone like ASDA on board they no doubt have a massive PR department who would want to get the story told.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cemex have done work to improve in this area. That said, that was after Cynthia Barlow, bought RMC shares (now Cemex) and attended their AGM where she demanded they do more to reduce the threat their vehicles were posing to cyclists.

See RoadPeace for more info.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Those are options to consider Classic33 -

However a correction Thomas - plans with this campaign are to spread it nationally and not for it just to be a youtube phenomenon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maybe the Daily Wail would like to run a story...

Hauliers don't give a kufc about bikes under their trucks

You know the kinda thing.

thomas

the tank engine
ttcycle said:
However a correction Thomas - plans with this campaign are to spread it nationally and not for it just to be a youtube phenomenon.

Correction? I never said it was just for youtube. I said that if the national press aren't interested it would no doubt be quite limited in effect (eg. just a few videos on youtube).

If I ran a large haulage company I would hardly give up a lorry for the day for something which possibly wouldn't benefit me at all. That is why I suggested ASDA. They have already done things to support cycling, so presumably would be interested in more projects. They are a massive supermarket so will presumably have a massive PR department and would be interested in making any good work they do very public. The more public the project is, the more interest there will be in it and the more benefit it will produce.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Its not about giving up a wagon for a day, even simply asking them if they would be prepared to display the sign as shown on earlier pages of "Time For Action" has brought no real response.

CotterPin

thomas said:
Why not try ASDA? They have just raised over a million quid for bike club (cycling youth charity - helped by CTC), their CEO has just done lands end to John.,..

Was a short thing in the CTC magazine. It seems that as a company they have been interested in raising money for cycling (no doubt to sell their cheap bike range)...but they may be willing to help out.

I reckon part of the reason a lot of companies aren't interested is partly it doesn't make them money, but potentially, this project could do no good. If the press aren't interested then it may well be a waste of time for them. Yes, it may get a bit of interest on youtube or whatever and help a handful of people, but not get any national attention.

If you could get someone like ASDA on board they no doubt have a massive PR department who would want to get the story told.

I guess this would find him:

Andy Bond
CEO
ASDA
ASDA House
Southbank,
Great Wilson Street
Leeds
LS11 5AD

Does anyone have the time to draft and send a short letter? Worth a punt as Thomas suggested. I'd write it but I am not sure I am as heavily involved in the proposed campaign to be able craft a persuasive argument.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
thomas said:

ASDA tried, but the response was that it would be forwarded to someone-else. Some-one else never got back in touch.

However, with a bit of research in the next few days a new lot will be sent out. Same questions, different approach.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Cheers for taking this on Classic33-let us know how you get on as it would be good to use the raised funds for something other than a HGV... crossing fingers and toes that there's a positive response!

Origamist

Legendary Member
@Classic33.

Could you post a copy of the letter/email that you are sending to companies - we might be able to offer advice.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Hole Picking time.
Writing these kind of letters I do a rough copy getting all(hopefully) relevant points on the origional & work it from there. A piece may be better worded, something can be missed out entirely. But this wouldn't be the final copy that would be sent.

All suggestions welcome for this new version.

"Writing as a cyclist.
I'm wondering, would you be willing to help us get this campaining off the internet & onto the roads. Where it can best do its job.

The opening post says what the aims are from the outset. To try & cut the number of injury & deaths caused when a cyclist & a lorry meet. See attachment. (Googled cyclist killed & lorry, returned over 16,000 results rather than single out one case.)

We have now reached the stage where we as cyclists are putting our money where our mouths are, in some cases time as well, towards the equipment needed. We have at present the following:

OFFERS OF HELP FROM FORUM MEMBERS

ttcycle
She has experience with community campaigns. Also has a broad sheet contact, and has two film-maker friends - she will contact them.

Magnatom
knows a CEO of an Ad Agency

scouserinlondon
He is in web marketing. Used to work for a trucking magazine. Still has contact with the editor and will call him, when there is a "clear campaign and idea". He is also happy to help with any promotion stuff you need to do, from SEO and PPC campaigns to any website, to laminating and flyering.

Ben Lovejoy
www.photographybybenlovejoy.com has offered his skills in still photography. He can also drive a 7.5 ton truck.

Plax
has offered to help with campaigning

Kaipath
has shot videos before, he gives a link to one of them - I tried to copy the link, but it would not work on my computer. He says it is NSFW.

karlos_the_jackal
(www.myolondon.com) He has offered advertising skills which includes clean graffiti, I think this means it washes off.

Jake
He edits videos, makes websites. He has got a film crew, (but they usually film people with not much on).

GordyFaeEdinburgh
He would be happy to host the website. He would also be able to help put a web-site together.

Sh4rkybloke
He has put together a video see post No 215 on page 22 for the link.

Rhythm Thief
He may be able to find a lorry we can use, but will need to ask the relevant people.

Gabefleming
Is a journalist and website editor for Nursing Times, and is happy to write any promotional copy, script for the video, or press releases. Also experienced with social media and would be happy to help with promoting the initiative through facebook, twitter etc.

Cotterpin
He has volunteered to hand out leaflets to cyclists at junctions. He also has contacts with the LCC. He would be happy to co-ordinate giving out cards at the roadside, with the possibility of this being across the country.

Nigelnorris
He has spare hosting capacity and is familiar with blog/forum set-up and administration. He says his skills are not up to building sites from scratch.

User3143
He has offered to be the victim/cyclist in the video. He is free every Thursday and Friday, and is half an hour from London by train.

With regards to the required HGV, as mentioned we are putting our money where our mouths are in contributing to raising the amount needed for the hire of the HGV. If there is any left over, or we fail to get the project as planned from the start of the ground then all money raised will be put into some of the other ideas raised on the thread. Most notably the sign for the back of the lorries.

Any participation on your part can only put you in the positive spotlight. You have been made aware & are willing to try to work with cyclists to cut the number of such incidents.

Progress to date can be followed at http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37713
OR if dubious about the link:
CycleChat.co.uk > Cycle Chat > Community > Campaigning & Public Policy > HGV / Cyclist Safety Campaign > Time For Action

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Yours"

In Italics a straight cut & paste from page 43 of Time for action, which would only list what we have to date no names.

Top Bottom