Why so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
But its not. We share them with all those things. Plus mopeds that travel under 35kph. We all get along fine as we show consideration to each other This is what you are lacking over there. Ride on a road rather than a cycle path? Not in Denmark I wouldnt.
But i dont live in denmark…….so i dont know what your getting at tbh

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But i dont live in denmark…….so i dont know what your getting at tbh
I am explaining that there is no problem sharing cycle paths. You do not have to live in Denmark to understand that. The whole of Europe does it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I am explaining that there is no problem sharing cycle paths. You do not have to live in Denmark to understand that. The whole of Europe does it.
But were i live there Is a problem…..thats what i was saying. It doesnt matter that it happens all over the world and people get on…..in wales its a problem. Only this week a cycle path had barb wire strung across at neck height, which caught a rider and caused some severe damage.

its also been a problem in bristol and bath, were wire has been strewn across paths and smashed glass to stop cyclists using them…..

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If people could get along like that, there'd be no need for cycle paths, as all vehicles could share the road.

It's been bone of contention with me that so little effort is put in to educating people how to share road space.
Thats utopia and it does not exist, so maybe you should stop hoping for it. A good cycling network would go a long way though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Read Peter Walker, Bike Nation.
I did not get past the first page. What he suggests is not a reality in any country. He is like one of those church preachers in America preaching to the converted. Cyclists are never going to rule the world. Regardless of what Peter Walker wants.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I did not get past the first page. What he suggests is not a reality in any country. He is like one of those church preachers in America preaching to the converted. Cyclists are never going to rule the world. Regardless of what Peter Walker wants.
I agree but he goes on to explain various ways people have got more cycling friendly cities. It is worth persevering through the first few pages. Whilst it is far from perfect it is a good example of what can be done.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Ultimately it is down to political will mainly and endless campaigning at local authority levels.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
£2M is an absolute bargain. I grew up on Bullockstone Road and still go back to see my mother so know the area, the new housing and the proposed route well. The cost through the new housing estates should not be a problem as those that are already built or in the process of being built already have cycle routes in place and the new developments still to come should have cycle routes as part of the planning permission. My guess is the cost is almost on on the stretch through Thornden and Blean woods. I am not aware of any even half decent surfaces that follow the route now, there are some fire/logging roads but I don’t think any follow the proposed route. Therefore they would either be starting from scratch or using some existing forest paths. Not all the students from Kent University live in Canterbury a fair few live in Herne Bay, I see very, very few cycling, some decent infrastructure may change that.

DRM

Guru
Around here they full of dogs, dog walkers, runners, hikers…..its just as bad tbh
Never had any hassle with any of the above, other than a grumpy old git moaning my flashing light could have triggered an epileptic seizure, I told him it didn’t and therefore you must have seen me approaching? So it’s work here is done, but it’s give and take and not a race track, and it’s nice not to worry about some prat in a car paying more attention to their phone than driving

DRM

Guru
But were i live there Is a problem…..thats what i was saying. It doesnt matter that it happens all over the world and people get on…..in wales its a problem. Only this week a cycle path had barb wire strung across at neck height, which caught a rider and caused some severe damage.

its also been a problem in bristol and bath, were wire has been strewn across paths and smashed glass to stop cyclists using them…..
So where was the Police, and what are they doing about it?

Top Bottom