Why so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Can anyone tell me why this would cost two million quid when they are utilising bridle ways already there, bit of surfacing in places and a few signs. Absurd!

Consultancy fees.

presta

Guru
Cycle paths cost between £140k and £1.45m per km depending on the type and construction. That path in the article looks to be about 5 miles, so it'll be somewhere between £1.1m and £11m to you, guv.
£2m looks at the cheaper end of the scale, so perhaps they're getting it done by the Boys from the Blackstuff.

Everything costs .more than you think. I bet there's a lot more work that needs to be done than slapping some gravel down.

Just look into the garden bridge flop that Johnson wanted and how many millions were spent without anything being built !

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
reading that article - they say 2m is pricey.....wonder if they would say that if it was a road being put in place

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The bit that annoyed me other than the 'pricey' comment was the bit saying 'contributions from housing developers' when it should be you build new houses you find a way of linking up with cycle infrastructure automatically. We are so backward in this country.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Outrageous. No wonder nothing gets done. In reality this could be turned round and useable in three months tops.

God knows what it cost Stockport Council to make the Alan Newton way - most was a farm track, they they surfaced, then found the lot turned into a mud bath and washed away. That was then re-surfaced, but it's now back to being a pot holed farm track - fine on a MTB, but not for most other bikes now.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The bit that annoyed me other than the 'pricey' comment was the bit saying 'contributions from housing developers' when it should be you build new houses you find a way of linking up with cycle infrastructure automatically. We are so backward in this country.
they found a way.....and make new developers pay towards it, makes sense and less for the tax payer to contribute

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
they found a way.....and make new developers pay towards it, makes sense and less for the tax payer to contribute
It should naturally be a consideration just like road and pavement that they have to build as part of the project in my opinion.

There was a BBC documentary on town planning and there was a housing scheme refused until they could put a bike path into the nearest village.

Eventually they did build the path and the new houses are there. So we aren't always backwards.

Top Bottom