Why so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It should naturally be a consideration just like road and pavement that they have to build as part of the project in my opinion.
we just had a 355m road development here and not a single bike lane was built as part of it, just resurfaced the ones they ripped up for access roads

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
but i see roads as the cycling infrastructure, so for me all housing developments have cycle infrastructure in place……..just not segregated

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
but i see roads as the cycling infrastructure, so for me all housing developments have cycle infrastructure in place……..just not segregated
I agree roads are my cycling paths as well but there are many many potential bike users out there who could gain confidence on purpose made paths.

I'm pleased provision is being made for people and bicycles yet wow - that sounds like an awful amount of money. I guess this must reflect the purchase price of the land it runs over , the materials the surface is made from, drainage, lighting and manpower to do the job, plus some interesting accounting shenanigans.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The bit that annoyed me other than the 'pricey' comment was the bit saying 'contributions from housing developers' when it should be you build new houses you find a way of linking up with cycle infrastructure automatically. We are so backward in this country.
Yes you certainly are backwards in this regard.

I Denmark when new housing estates, industrial estates, or busy roads are built. Cycle paths are always one of the first things that are put in. When cycle paths are put in on existing roads they are usually put in where the edge of a field was. There is never a huge to do about it and they arrive at hell of a speed. A couple of years ago our local council put in a new 7km cycle path which included a wooden bridge, cycle pump, bench and bins. Super wide and silky smooth. A total joy to ride. There was no opening cermony or even newspaper article. They are putting these cycle paths in all the time.

If any council wants to build a cycle path I think they could save a ton of money by coming over to Denmark and talking to a town council here. They make great cycle paths and know exactly how to do it.

Yes you certainly are backwards in this regard.

I Denmark when new housing estates, industrial estates, or busy roads are built. Cycle paths are always one of the first things that are put in. When cycle paths are put in on existing roads they are usually put in where the edge of a field was. There is never a huge to do about it and they arrive at hell of a speed. A couple of years ago our local council put in a new 7km cycle path which included a wooden bridge, cycle pump, bench and bins. Super wide and silky smooth. A total joy to ride. There was no opening cermony or even newspaper article. They are putting these cycle paths in all the time.

If any council wants to build a cycle path I think they could save a ton of money by coming over to Denmark and talking to a town council here. They make great cycle paths and know exactly how to do it.
I love cycling in Denmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Around here they full of dogs, dog walkers, runners, hikers…..its just as bad tbh

But its not. We share them with all those things. Plus mopeds that travel under 35kph. We all get along fine as we show consideration to each other This is what you are lacking over there. Ride on a road rather than a cycle path? Not in Denmark I wouldnt.

But its not. We share them with all those things. Plus mopeds that travel under 35kph. We all get along fine as we show consideration to each other This is what you are lacking over there. Ride on a road rather than a cycle path? Not in Denmark I wouldnt.

If people could get along like that, there'd be no need for cycle paths, as all vehicles could share the road.

It's been bone of contention with me that so little effort is put in to educating people how to share road space.

Top Bottom