Why's my freewheel wobbling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Absolutely! Indeed it doesn't just jump - the chain seems to get stuck between sprockets and, as it were, rides between them. So the chain is effectively sliding over the tops of the teeth and not engaging at all. Which is highly disconcerting, to say the least! I think I'm going to cut my losses and replace the wheel. It's probably 50+ years old, so I think you could say we got our money's worth. Thanks all.
Just reading this again. Do you know if someone has replaced the chain? The reason I ask is because 4 speed uses 1/8" chain so normal derailleur chains won't work.

It's nothing to do with bent axles or anything else bent; all of those old-school freewheels wobble like that. I've seen so many that I've even wondered if they were manufactured that way to help the chain derail because there aren't any ramps. Replacing it will only produce the same wobble.

The skipping chain may just be due to the fact that it's clogged with filth.

I volunteer at a community bike workshop where we fix a lot of old bikes. You'd be surprised at how many move in that way, but it doesn't normally cause any operational problems. How worn is the chain? You are right that 50 years is good service for the freewheel.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just reading this again. Do you know if someone has replaced the chain? The reason I ask is because 4 speed uses 1/8" chain so normal derailleur chains won't work.
Oh. Yes, me. For a 3/16". That explains that bit! Thanks. You live & learn!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As others have posted "they all do that" but the most likely culprit for the chain riding on top of the sprocket is the rear derailleur, my old Carlton used to be a Ba$tud for doing it with the old Simplex (I think) mech. After it got run over by a lorry I fitted a 'New 105' rear mech which cured the problem until I 'serviced' the thing and re-fitted the jockey wheels upside down.
It turned out that the sideways 'float' on the top wheel is what prevents the chain from being able to sit on top of the sprocket instead of engaging with the teeth.

Oh and BTW anyone who thinks a bent 'axle' can cause oscillation is talking bull, the 'axle' doesn't rotate (well I hope it doesn't) so fitting a new wheel won't be needed but a different rear mech might help mitigate the problem. :bicycle:

Top Bottom