Wide rack wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I need a rear rack for my Discovery 501, I bought one of Ebay but it won't fit, the frame is too wide at the drop out.

Bought a Trek one from my LBS, that was not wide enough but at least it has screw out lugs, at the furthest setting I could get it stable, but aligning it straight means bending one of the lug threads against the frame, not good. That's now on my wife's 201 and fits a treat.

Then I bought a Blackburn expedition rack from a well know Ebay cycle seller having been assured fit would fit, it doesn't:angry:. At the base all three "legs" merge together and make it impossible flex around the frame and to align correctly. There must be a rack out there for me?

Am I right in reading that the frame gets in the way, and you are bendingthe struts to fit?

If so the quick answer is to get a couple of spacers (the ones off an old v brake will do)

Then spread the rack legs and using a long bolt place the spacer(s) between rack and eye

It has been done here to avoid a disc brake, but the principle is the same:

dsc_2453_476_general.jpg

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Many thanks for the reply, especially as I posted it in the wrong section.:biggrin:

My problem is the opposite, the frame arms on my 501 are wide, I have to flex the rack struts, out, away from the bike to clear them. The Blackburn is a cracking rack but all three struts terminate together at the bottom, meaning it it is strong but totally inflexible, I can't align the fixing points with or without a spacer.

The Trek's threaded lug at least enables me to unscrew it (nearly fully) enabling me to flex that to align the fixing holes.

Top Bottom