1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide rack wanted

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by MarkF, 13 Jan 2008.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

I need a rear rack for my Discovery 501, I bought one of Ebay but it won't fit, the frame is too wide at the drop out.

Bought a Trek one from my LBS, that was not wide enough but at least it has screw out lugs, at the furthest setting I could get it stable, but aligning it straight means bending one of the lug threads against the frame, not good. That's now on my wife's 201 and fits a treat.

Then I bought a Blackburn expedition rack from a well know Ebay cycle seller having been assured fit would fit, it doesn't:angry:. At the base all three "legs" merge together and make it impossible flex around the frame and to align correctly. There must be a rack out there for me?

2. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Am I right in reading that the frame gets in the way, and you are bendingthe struts to fit?

If so the quick answer is to get a couple of spacers (the ones off an old v brake will do)

Then spread the rack legs and using a long bolt place the spacer(s) between rack and eye

It has been done here to avoid a disc brake, but the principle is the same:

dsc_2453_476_general.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    MarkF

MarkF Guru

Many thanks for the reply, especially as I posted it in the wrong section.:biggrin:

My problem is the opposite, the frame arms on my 501 are wide, I have to flex the rack struts, out, away from the bike to clear them. The Blackburn is a cracking rack but all three struts terminate together at the bottom, meaning it it is strong but totally inflexible, I can't align the fixing points with or without a spacer.

The Trek's threaded lug at least enables me to unscrew it (nearly fully) enabling me to flex that to align the fixing holes.

4. Bring it to the workshop and we'll fit it for thee.