Wide rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llllllll

I'm looking for a 36 hole 24in rim, now here's the tricky bit, ideally it needs to be around 50mm wide (it's for a cruiser/posing bike). Anyone know if such a thing exists and where I might get one from? I've found some really wide rims from Rigida (80 and 100mm) but these would throw the chain line out.

Thanks in advance

Peyote

Hmm, no joy on 50mm ones, but Surly do 'Large Marge' rims that are 65mm:

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/largemarge_pop.html

P.H

Über Member
llllllll said:
I've found some really wide rims from Rigida (80 and 100mm) but these would throw the chain line out.

Thanks in advance

Sorry don't know about wide rims.
I'd like to question the above statment. Just how will the rim width affect the chainline? The hub doesn't know how wide the rim is;)

OP
OP
llllllll

llllllll

With rims that wide, the side of the rim would foul the chain. You could get them to work by spacing the sprocket and chainring further out, but given the amount of use this bike gets it's more hassle that it's worth.

Thanks for the link to Surly Peyote, I'll have to get my tape measure out see if they'll squeeze in.

P.H

Über Member
llllllll said:
With rims that wide, the side of the rim would foul the chain.

Ah yes, hadn’t thought of that, obviously not thinking wiiiiiiide enough!
What size tyres will go on that? Would they not fit on the more common 36mm rim?

OP
OP
llllllll

llllllll

I'm going for a 3in wide tyre on the rear, though I'm temped by the 3.7 on the Surly website. They will fit on a 36mm rim, that's what I've got on the bike at the moment, but a wider rim spreads the tyre into a nicer shape - it's all about the looks rather than the performance.

Top Bottom